1. Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Over the last couple of months, my A6 (2015 BiTDI) regularly warns about the DPF and then very quickly goes into limp mode.

The first time was over a year ago and that was entirely my fault for leaving it for ages after the light came on. Audi Assist did a forced regen and all was good. I generally drive about 2 miles in the morning and evening, for about 10 minutes at a time. Once or twice a week I there are 5 to 10 mile drives, and at least once a fortnight I end up doing a lap around the M25.

In October, the light came on and I took it for a ~45 mile drive on the motor, which quickly cleared the light (and it wasn't still running when I turned the car off). The light back back on again within a week and I went for a drive again but this time a ~60 mile one. All good again for a couple of weeks and then it was back on... this time though, 2 trips of ~1 mile each and less than 36 hours after the light came on, the car was in limp mode.

The Audi Assist guy tried to give me a lecture, saying it was how I was driving etc but I know full well what I need to do and I also know that it really shouldn't be coming on again this quickly.

Thoughts?

0 0 0

2. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Your driving distances aren't good , but the dpf system is flawed beyond belief anyway as everything has to work perfectly , any enrichment/ overfueling of the combustion mixture leads to a shorter dpf life , a simple boost leak , maf , dpf pressure sensors , turbo seal oil leak , leaky injectors , egr , glow plugs , thermostat , cts , etc .

A dpf can be replaced at great cost and can fail again because the root cause wasn't diagnosed .

0 0 0

3. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Those short drive cycles are killing it, not enough heat and any active regens probably being cut short.

0 0 0

4. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Dead dpf. Trade in for a petrol car, those short journeys have killed it.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

5. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi If it were me I would be off to the dealers as it should still be under warranty. Get them to sort it, Audi assist may have passed on there findings to the cars history and it may well have fault codes to prove a problem. Let them asses if there is a problem, if so then its fix free of charge... Good luck
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

6. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    When you go for your long drives, do you do them in top gear, or do you force a lower gear to raise the engine revs? A drive around the M25 in top gear won't generate much heat in the DPF as the engine will be running only marginally above idle speed.

0 0 0

7. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elansear View Post
    Hi If it were me I would be off to the dealers as it should still be under warranty. Get them to sort it, Audi assist may have passed on there findings to the cars history and it may well have fault codes to prove a problem. Let them asses if there is a problem, if so then its fix free of charge... Good luck
    Don't think dpf is a warranty item.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

8. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    My last A6 had DPF and I did short journeys to work 5 days a week, typically 7 mile total. It did get longer runs at the weekends, but in the 3 years I had it I had no DPF issues. I know short journeys can cause issues, but I don't think the OP should have the issues as frequently as he is. It could be pressure / temp. sensor issue in DPF maybe?
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

9. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    All those really really short trips are gonna kill a DPF. Your oil is barely getting warm and the exhaust manifold temps are not enough for it to even start a DPF regen - let alone complete one.

I do a lot of short trips 2 to 5 miles but I also do some longer 8 mile trips and some in the 50 or 100 mile range. I'm really aware when a DPF regen is happening and I will consciously drive longer - or if I get home and it is doing a regen I'll take it out (in sport mode) and drive for 20 mins or more to finish the regen.

I'm pretty sure that having the regen not complete again and again is bad juju.
    You gotta figure out some longer runs and pay attention to getting regents to complete or change car my friend.

My next car will not be a diesel! I love the BiTdi... but diesels are too much of a liability now with all of the exhaust emissions nonsense they have added.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

10. Re: Frequent Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Out of interest how do you know it’s doing a re-gen ?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast