1. Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I have had my 3.0 tdi Quattro for about 2 months now and have a question about dpf. I have read that you need good long runs to get dpf to regen and be over 2000 Regen to happen. If that is true then all my love runs will not cause the regen process to start as sitting at 70mph the car is only doing 1500 rpm. Is this correct? Do I need to sit in 3 Rd gear for about 15 mins on every long run? Bit confusing as some nights I get in from work ( 1/2 trip), in traffic and the fans run for while when I stop suggesting regen had started. Any help or advice apriciated.

0 1 0

2. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Regen seems to happen when the engine (exhaust manifold) is hot enough and it decides it needs a regen - it is not a specific RPM, but higher RPM pushes up engine temps. I can always tell on my BiTdi because it starts to behave differently - it holds lower gears than normal (for example, it will usually drop into 8th when you'r cruising at 60mph, but it will stay in 7th).

There seems to be some correlation between engine oil temp and exhaust manifold temp... I can see the oil temp as I had the "lap timer" mod done with VCDS and it is visible in that MMI view. Oil temp seems to need to be above about 82C before regen will run. If I get home and it's doing a regen I've got into the habit (time permitting) of taking it for a 15 or 20 minute 'blast'. I'll leave it in sport mode and when I get onto the local dual carriageway stick it in 6th (ZF gearbox is 8 speed). You can see oil temp climbing - it will get up towards 100C - and that seems to correlate with high exhaust manifold temp so DPF regen proceeds.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 1 0

3. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    So it's temperature rather than high reves. So it should regen on motorway run without any problems.

0 1 0

4. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    My understanding is that it is specifically exhaust manifold temp that matters. You have no way to measure that - although as I noted oil temp seems to be something of a gauge.

Patently higher revs should help generate higher exhaust manifold temps. But ambient conditions will play a part too... a run down the motorway today (28C here) might well be enough to run the regen, middle of January when it's -3C maybe not.

Get the VCDS mod done for the lap timer... lap timer is a chocolate teapot, gear ship indicator (ala F1 car) is occasional fun, boost indicator is OK but the oil temp is the main reason to have it.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 1 0

5. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    It'll do it when it wants to. Wouldn't worry about it unless all you do is short runs

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

0 1 0

6. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmagee View Post
    Wouldn't worry about it unless all you do is short runs
    If you do lots of long runs then you are probably right, but even so if you park the car and a DPF region is happening then it's likely it will not complete. General opinion is that it a bad thing to have that happen too often...

0 1 0

7. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgroucho View Post
    If you do lots of long runs then you are probably right, but even so if you park the car and a DPF region is happening then it's likely it will not complete. General opinion is that it a bad thing to have that happen too often...
    Well, after 4 1/2 years of never noticing a regen I had this happen to me for the first time today as the fan stayed on when I parked up. It's scheduled for warranty work tomorrow anyway so I'll see what happens on the way in and maybe ask them to force one while it's in there. Don't want it to be happening too often.
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

8. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi. Think after 4 1/2 years it has done many. You may well not notice it, if you are on a run of say 20 miles on an average day, it will have done it without you noticing. If you are sensitive enough to how your car is behaving you will notice it, holding gear a bit longer, slightly sluggish if you happen to push it, rise in ideal revs, a slog hit burning smell. But if it's done on a run at fairly constant speed probably not notice anything. My light came on the other week,first time, had been doing a lot of short trips. Took it for a 20 mile run at 70 keeping it in 6th (2L) and in just over 10 miles it went out, so nothing to worry about I would think.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

9. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks Elansear. My post was a little tongue-in-cheek since all the previous regens must have occurred on a steady motorway run and consequently unnoticed. I did drive at about 2000 rpm in Sport and using the paddles yesterday morning to see if I could flush out any more of a regen but when I hit city traffic I noticed the idle wasn't any higher than normal. All's good for now.
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

10. Re: Dpf regen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Once the loading reaches a certain point the regen has to be forced, if the loading exceeds around 40% the ECU will not allow a regen as it is a fire risk saying "warning, vehicle may burn down" and at this point the DPF has to be removed and cleaned, don't fit a pattern replacement whatever you do, have yours professionally cleaned by "The DPF Clean Team" in Hinkley.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0