Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmagee View Post
    What about this new super diesel technology? Supposed to be cleaner than petrol
    Nope and as Gaz says it's not the NOX that is the real problem, that is just the one getting some press at the moment, something to do with a big company not playing by the rules, or something like that, fuss and bother over nothing if you ask me....

Particulates are THE problem and particularly the PM2.5's that are produced by the EU6 standards including petrol engines which are now going to need a GPF, a Gasoline Particulate Filter, it has all got silly, daft, out of control; they are all Band Aid fixes, just a plaster over a gaping open festering wound... These problems are the result of a manic obsession put in motion 20 years ago; the pursuit of reducing man made Co2 and EVERYTHING else has suffered as a result. The aims of lower Co2 with lower NOX emissions don't work together, drop one and the other goes up and vice versa, a no win situation and electric or hydrogen cars are not the answer and neither is bio fuel in its first or even second generation formats. I personally don't know what the answer is to our need/desire to move around freely AND the ability to be able to move goods around BUT I do know that diesel in cars was a really bad idea (but not in commercial vehicles) and that electric cars are an environmental disaster waiting to happen, one that will make the decision to go down the dirty diesel route look like a bad choice of shirt colour in comparison. I just hope I am dead and buried before it happens.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello again, just a quick update.
    I decided on the 1.8 TSI with dsg. Order amended on Saturday. Within hours though, I read that these can have an oil usage issue.
    Is there anything to worry about with this or has this problem been solved now ? Any input appreciated thanks.

0 0 0

3. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It should be OK now, the design was changed a few years ago.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you Crasher. Much appreciated

0 0 0

5. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    We had the 1.8TSI on our old Octavia Scout and it was a lovely engine. Pulled really nicely and was very smooth. It towed our caravan with no problems and actually wasn't too bad on the consumption front considering we had the 4x4. It did have a tendency to drink oil in the last year of our 4 years of ownership, but if that's now been addressed then you should have a nice ownership experience with this engine.
    Now: 2016 Passat SE Business Estate | V&C Pack | AID | DLA | TPMS
    Old: 2012 A4 Avant SE Technik | TDIe | Tech Pack High | Foldy Mirrors | TPMS | Heated Seats | Auto Hold

0 0 0

6. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much YawnGumbo, appreciated

0 0 0

7. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Just a quick question to heronaddict or any 1.8 TSI DSG owner.
    If you now have the car, is the left footrest for the DSG (auto) the same as in the diesel (TDI) car?
    I ask this as I have always found the VW Passat foot position very comfortable (left foot resting in line with left shoulder). Whereas the BMW and Audi are pushed to the right so left foot in line with centre of body causing discomfort on a long journey.
    I ask as I haven't found a petrol car to check this.
    Thanks, Mike

0 0 0

8. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. Can't tell you I'm afraid, mine is due in about 5 weeks.

0 0 0

9. Re: Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    passat2.jpgInkedpassat1_LI.jpg

Hi again. Picking up my Passat GT next week. Very excited ! I was apprehensive about the Manganese Grey, my wife's choice. It looks much better than I imagined thankfully.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12