Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If VAG had stuck with the dynamic oil pressure warning system they introduced in 1982 and phased out from around 97, this would have saved countless numbers of failed engines just in the cases I have personally seen, I bought my Octavia VRS at four years old with a ragged engine.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I have two VAG vehicles with dynamic oil pressure warning systems. My 1987 VW camper has two pressure switches, one which switches off the warning light at 0.25 Bar, and another which sounds a buzzer and makes the light flash if the pressure falls below 1.8 Bar at any speed above 2,000 rpm.
    The Audi has one switch, which opens at 1.4 Bar. The ECU lights the warning lamp if this switch closes when the engine speed is higher than 300 rpm.

Such a simple system that I can't understand why VAG phased it out. Maybe their agents were short of repair work or they needed the ECU space for something more important like a motorised boot lid.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

3. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    On the Golf 1, 2 and 3 I can recollect hundreds of situations where the all important 1.8 Bar pressure to close white switch saved an engine from damage when the demented hornet (later beeper) went off. It became part of my service regime to disconnect the yellow wire and rev the engine over 2200 rpm to make sure the slightly temperamental circuit board wasn’t playing up and to “exercise” it, even then if it was playing up you could replace the board in the panel for a sum which all changed on the Golf 3 which had no spare parts available but even then you could fit a used panel without spending thousands on a new one which needed programming in. This is a situation which is going to get MUCH worse in the future, I don’t want anything to do with 800 volt batteries thank you.... can you imagine some of the DIY people on here working on 100Kw 800 volt batteries in worn out 10 year old cars........
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    On the Golf 1, 2 and 3 I can recollect hundreds of situations where the all important 1.8 Bar pressure to close white switch saved an engine from damage when the demented hornet (later beeper) went off. It became part of my service regime to disconnect the yellow wire and rev the engine over 2200 rpm to make sure the slightly temperamental circuit board wasn’t playing up and to “exercise” it, even then if it was playing up you could replace the board in the panel for a sum which all changed on the Golf 3 which had no spare parts available but even then you could fit a used panel without spending thousands on a new one which needed programming in. This is a situation which is going to get MUCH worse in the future, I don’t want anything to do with 800 volt batteries thank you.... can you imagine some of the DIY people on here working on 100Kw 800 volt batteries in worn out 10 year old cars........
    I am HV trained for LIVE working and I must admit it I never feel 100% at ease, even with all the applicable buzz bars removed, safe voltage, it still makes me check 10 time do it once!!!!!! you can not see electric coming to get you

1 1 0

5. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    With petrol you get a warning, a puddle or a sniff, with 800v you just fry. Those people who are pushing for electric cars are sentencing future young mechanics to death by electrocution, it is insane and beyond sensible evaluation, try and save the planet (as if!) by killing young techs and later people who like to fiddle with cars. It doesn’t even warrant a smilie......

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Beginning to wish I'd kept my Ro80, which, after all my work, is now sitting unused in a garage in Tokyo
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23

0 0 0

7. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I wish I had bought one...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

8. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I wish I had bought one...
    They were probably totally out of fashion when you got your first driving licence, but very cheap. I only paid a few hundred for no. 3, the blue one I just sold, in 1984.

They do grow on you. I had three. This is the first one, driving through France after collecting it from the factory in October 1968. Cost DM10,800, about £1,100 then, with radio and sunroof.

AL Ro80 1 New Oct '68.jpg

Approaching Aix en Provence, Mont St. Victoire and a bunch of Spaniards picking grapes in the background.

0 0 0

9. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    My freind who does restoration work for me has one, I lust after it when I go up there.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Engine using oil, and dirty plugs – is my turbo oil seal leaking? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchAudi View Post
    At the end of March, the car had covered about 3,000 miles in the 9 months since my last post on this subject. The oil consumption was decreasing, and seemed to start dropping quite significantly soon after the beginning of this year.

On March 31, in preparation for a trip to S Spain, I did an oil change oil after about 4400 miles instead of the 5000 miles I have decided on. The previous change was after 5800 miles, which included 250 miles on Glaze Bust and 475 miles on mineral oil.

We returned yesterday, having covered 1,514 miles, much on motorway type roads with 75 mph limits and main roads with 50 - 60 mph limits, but many miles on winding mountain roads. We stayed away from urban areas, so there was very little town or city driving.

Average petrol consumption for the trip was 34 mpg. I checked the oil level each time we filled up, and was surprised there was no need to top up.

On checking this morning, the oil level is only 1 mm below the top mark. Must have done something right

That was written on April 16th. Today I checked the dipstick on level ground, 1500 miles since it was changed.

It was slightly down, and I added a bit less than half a litre to bring it up to the mark.

I also installed an oil pressure gauge.

As it is very difficult to get to the various places to tee off from the existing pressure switch and connect the wires to suitable ignition-switched supply and lighting circuits, I hired a stunted, 3-armed midget with prehensile fingers and eyes on stalks to do this for me. I ran the wire from the sender unit through a spare grommet into the ECU enclosure, and from there through the big hole to the dashboard area.

The gauge is now connected, will be properly installed tomorrow. A preliminary check with cold engine shows just over 6 bar at 3,000 rpm. That meets Mr Bentley's requirement of "between 5 and 7 bars at 3000 rpm".

After blitzing my camper engine I feel much happier being able to glance at the oil pressure from time to time, and perhaps be forewarned of any pending problems.

I'm now thinking of adding some ZDDP at the next oil change, in an effort to save the cams and followers.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast