Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

I bought a new Touareg in July 2015, 262 bhp 8 speed auto. I use this jeep for work and I tow a large tri-axel trailer regularly. I'm very happy with the jeep which now has 65,000km on it.
    I bought a second Touareg in April of this year, same spec, 262 bhp, 8 speed auto, (no low range) and I have 6000km on it. I still have the 2015 jeep.

The second jeep is driving different from the first jeep.
    When sitting at 100kmh (60mph) the jeep keeps shifting down to 7th gear when very slightly accelerated, and I ,mean very slightly. Even at 125kmh the jeep keeps down shifting to 7th.
    The jeep constantly shifts form 8th to 7th and then back up again.

The 2015 jeeps pulls well with a load and stays in 8th gear at 100kmh with strong acceleration. It is a very good driving jeep.
    Can the auto box be adjusted? It's down shifting with to little torque being applied.

I have gone to my garage today but they threw blank faces at me.

My brother and neighbour have both a July 2015 Touareg of the same spec, and they drive the same as my 2015 one.
    Would the set up of the auto box be different? Different software?

0 1 0

2. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    It's a conventional automatic not a dsg.

I know exactly the issue you are referring to. The later car has different TCM software.

Other owners that have had previous Touaregs have complained to VW but I'm unaware of any outcome. I suggest you complain too.

0 2 0

3. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the response. Not the reply i wanted to hear but very informative. I wonder if they can install the older software for the auto box? Are there remap soft ware? The 152 jeep is a great drive but the new 2017 Jeep is so anoying as it constantly changes gear at the 60mph speed limit. I normal drive with it in manual position. Sure that's what i got an automatic gearbox ;-)

0 1 0

4. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I don't think it's simply a matter of installing older software...you would think that others would have convinced VW to do so if it were possible. I guess it will depend on whether there are any changes to the gearbox itself.

If the gearbox is identical and the only issue is VWs unwillingness to return to the older software then that might leave you the option to buy a second hand TCM from an earlier model and fit that?

Yes use in tiptronic mode...I also believe that using cruise control makes the gearbox behave normally.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

0 2 0

5. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks,

Yes when I use the cruise control the box changes up to 8th gear straight away and remains in 8th even under a fair bit of torque on a hill before changing down.
    I spoke to my VW garage again and they said that there current demo Touareg is doing the same thing.
    I rang a guy that bought a new jeep the same time as myself, and when I explained what my jeep was doing, he said that his was also constantly hunting gears at cruising speed. But he had never driven a Touareg before and therefore had nothing to compare it to.
    It's a few days since I complained to VW and I have no news from them. I rang them and they said the issue was sent to VW Dublin, and they had no feed back.
    Surly if it's a known problem, VW would be keen to fix it quickly?

0 1 0

6. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mroulston View Post
    Thanks,

Surly if it's a known problem, VW would be keen to fix it quickly?
    Well the question is do they know that many people are unhappy with this "feature" and do they therefore consider it a "problem"? Only then would they create a fix for it.
    Some one somewhere has made a deliberate change to the shift pattern. I would like to know the reason because it's definitely ruined a great car!

0 2 0

7. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,
    After a few days with no response from my local dealer which I purchased the jeep from,I rang customer care in VW Ireland, Dublin and explained my case.
    The guy was very helpful and said to leave it with him and he would ensure my local dealer would contact me that day and if not to contact him in 2 days.
    After 2 days I contacted VW Ireland again and said I had no contact form my local dealer. With in 30 mins my local dealer contacted me gave me the current status of my complaint.
    30 mins later they contacted me to say that they have their demo jeep in the workshop for a full diagnostics.
    Later that day they rang me to say that updated the software in the demo jeep and as far as they know, the problem is fixed.
    So they have arranged for me to have their demo jeep for a while to see if I'm happy with the revised shift pattern before updating my jeep.
    So here's hoping!!

Just a pity I had to go to VW Ireland to get the problem addressed. I would rather my local dealer would have looked seriously at it. It's VW's top end vehicle and I'm currently running 2 of them.

0 1 0

8. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Good luck with it. I'll be very interested to hear your opinion of the outcome.

0 1 0

9. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The Jeep is booked in for this Friday 21-July at 11am for a software update.
    I drove the demo jeep with the updated software and it seemed fine, but I didn't get a good run.

0 0 0

10. Re: Touareg DSG Gearbox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The jeep was re-programmed this morning and after a short run all seems to be good.
    I will know more when I have a trailer attached, but at the moment I'm happy.
    I spoke to the guy in VW Ireland afterwards to thank him for his input in getting the problem addressed and he told me that the problem when to manufacturing level.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their input and information. It was great to be armed with information when making a complaint, and also to know that I wasn't dreaming myself about this problem.
    Thanks again.

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast