1. Servicing Frequency Oil vs Inspection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    So I have an A6 Saloon 3.0TDI BiTurbo which is a Jul 2015 plate car which I have had from new and my understanding its on variable servicing.

Unlike my previous A6 where the oil change and service were at the same time this has them different.

I had an oil change in Jan which I paid around £240 for (I appreciate I could have bought oil myself etc) and this one was inline with the service computer in the car.

My car service screen currently states that I have a further 200 days or 5000 miles till my inspection is due which would take it to 19k miles or sometime in the spring (2.5 years old). That hasn't changed since I bought it.

Got a couple of emails about an air conditioning service for £59 or so recently which I am not sure have been offered before.

Today I get a call to say that my inspection service is due which is £252 plus a pollen filter (£65.98) and they can do the air conditioning at the same time for the additional £59. So roughly £377 or so.

I asked what was done for this and the lad that called didn't really have a clue and just went on to say they will inspect the car and reset the service interval. I asked again and he reiterated the resetting of the service interval. Given I have got VCDS I know that latter bit is trivial.

In the service book it states 19k or 24 months for inspection but not sure why the computer things longer for duration.

If I add that together with the oil change I am £677 which seems more like double what I paid previously.

I appreciate its a more complex car so greater cost and I am going to ring round but anybody else got experience of this happening?

Also they haven't mentioned anything about a brake fluid change which normally they do after 2 years?

0 0 0

2. Re: Servicing Frequency Oil vs Inspection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I changed mine to fixed servicing as I prefer an oil change every 10k.
    The variable oil service in theory is based on oil condition and the way you drive the car. So if you drive it hard every day it will need changed quicker than if you drive like miss daisy all day. The oil service can range from 10-20k but usually closer to 20.
    The inspection should be fixed at 2 years or 24k and can be timed more or less with the oil service. If you look in the handbook, the inspection includes checking a range of things and changing pollen filters and air filters etc. Your service in Jan will have just been a quick oil change and a quick visual inspection and top up fluids(if you are lucky)
    2015 272 saloon Fl, lighting pack, 19" 10 spoke alloys, electric boot, memory seat with folding mirrors, tech pack, silver leather interior and privacy glass.

0 0 0

3. Re: Servicing Frequency Oil vs Inspection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Thanks

On mine the variable service when new, oil was set to 12k and the inspection to 19k which is the first time that they have been significantly different. The low oil one surprised me but then I thought its probably due to the engine. Just trying to remember whether the inspection service was set to 920 days which seemed to ring a bell but didn't realise at the time this was actually well over 2 years.

In the service book which is now really thin due to the digital servicing all I could see were the extras they did at some of the "bigger" services. Maybe need to read it again.
    They topped up the AdBlue for free and charged me a fiver for 100ml of windscreen washer fluid as I forgot to make sure it was topped up

0 0 0

4. Re: Servicing Frequency Oil vs Inspection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    You can get the dealers to set it to variable or fixed. A lot of faffing around vcds to get right in my experience.
    Mine is set at the moment to 9k oil service the 18k inspection but I included an oil service in the inspection.
    Basically a cheap service(oil change) then an expensive one.
    2015 272 saloon Fl, lighting pack, 19" 10 spoke alloys, electric boot, memory seat with folding mirrors, tech pack, silver leather interior and privacy glass.

0 0 0

5. Re: Servicing Frequency Oil vs Inspection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Appreciate that but I guess the question is do I just sit and wait till the computer says I need to have it done or pay some money now. At the moment I don't have a service plan and will plan to swap the car when its 3.5 years old or so.

If I can minimise the amount of servicing yet still be within the limits of what the variable service says then that was my plan.

0 0 0

6. Re: Servicing Frequency Oil vs Inspection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Audi seem to make it up as they go along.
    My 2.0tdi is on the 18000 mile / 2 year service intervals but they say the brake fluid is due at 3 years and the cambelt at 5 years. That 5 years for the cambelt doesn't even align with a service interval mileage. 75K miles instead of the 72K service.
    Why cant they align these things properly so you only go to the garage once and get everything done? Money is the answer. They get you in and tell you your tyres are 60% worn so would you like them changed now?

Now mine is out of warranty it will be going to a garage I trust rather than Audi.

0 0 0

7. Re: Servicing Frequency Oil vs Inspection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrown1664 View Post
    Audi seem to make it up as they go along.
    My 2.0tdi is on the 18000 mile / 2 year service intervals but they say the brake fluid is due at 3 years
    I believe the first brake fluid change is due at 3 years 'cos it's new from the factory and all the rubber pipe etc. have minimal pourousity (sp?). After that the brake fluid change becomes every 2 years as higher potential for water vapour to invade the system which could result in water boiling and soggy brake pedal (or no brakes at all) under hard braking.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0