1. Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Had an issue on the rear of a bearing like drone. Figured the car has done 189,000 miles it was probably due some bearings. Changed them (one was fine but changed anyway and one was worn and probably on its way to being ready for changing) and the drone wasn't much better. Took the car to get the wheels balanced as figured that it could only be that as can feel a slight vibration through the seat and the guy took the first wheel off and said its not balancing its scalloped on the inside. He put it back on and checked the other rear and that was the same. So took it to my usual garage and had 2 new tyres put on and he said that scalloping is normally due to worn shock absorbers? As i've just spent £300 on new bearings and tyres I'm dubious to throw more money at the problem as the car handles fine and isn't showing any obvious signs that the shocks are finished. I've had loads of tracking issues in the past with uneven wear as this car seems to be quite sensitive to toe and camber and normally 4 wheel alignment has solved it but never have I had this scalloping.

So my question is has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it?
    Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have had it on my old A4 1.8T, and it was a rear shock gone bad. Changed them both with 2 x tyres and never had anymore issues for 8 years after that.
    Get them checked out first.
    2000 2.5TDI Quattro 173,000miles, just run in...Sold
    2006 TT 3.2 Quattro 40,000miles
    2005 A6 Avant 3.0TDI Quattro

0 2 0

3. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    190,000 miles and you wonder if the shocks are worn out ??
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 2 0

4. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    If they are not weeping they're good for another 100 years .

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    If they are not weeping they're good for another 100 years .
    Maybe not - just this weekend I noticed a weird drone slight rattle and back end shimmy on my 135k passat. No sign of rear shocks leaking and went through mot last month ok. Today I got my missus to drive with me hanging out the rear passenger windows like a mad dog watching the rear wheels. Nearside rear was bouncing and skittering along. New shocks to be fitted in a few weeks, car off the road until then as the back end is too loose on bumpy roads.

0 1 0

6. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i have replaced plenty of dampers that arn't leaking and look otherwise fine. its only when you get them off the car and find they have no damping left at all. recently followed at least a few cars that have had a rear damper not doing anything. makes you realise just how much work they do. one wheel just following the road, the other bouncing everywhere.

0 2 0

7. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    You see cars driving along the motorway with a wheel bouncing like mad, wonder if the driver realises somethings wrong or just turns the radio up!

1 1 0

8. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    'they all do that sir '

0 0 0

9. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    You may scoff but it's not obvious that they are worn out, its mostly motorway miles and i've done the lift and drop and also bounce "test" and it seems normal to me. It's also just passed its MOT.

0 0 0

10. Re: Rear Tyre Scolloping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    no one is scoffing.. problem is, you drive a car for many miles and dont realise things are wearing out as it happens over time. a damper has a life expectancy of 60,000 miles. anything after that is a bonus but the internals will be worn and not operating as efficiently as a new damper. my 80 recently started to feel a tiny bit loose. an inspection noted some slight misting to a rear damper, not enough to make much difference but enough to allow me to feel it. still good for an mot, still good for many m,iles, but i will replace the soon, maybe..
    i bet if you took your rears off you would find them very worn.

0 2 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast