Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

New to this forum and my first post so please point out if I am not following rules or my question lacks detail!

I have a 1998 T4 Multivan (Manual/RHD/2.5tdi), it has had a D5252 Volvo engine swap/transplant!
    It has done approx' 280k - but 75k on the 'new' engine.

Issue Symptoms
    Started cutting out when driving at speed (mainly on motorways...) when up to temperature and not under load/acceleration.
    The engine would die, the electrics all stayed on, the revs would drop to nothing and it would cut out. I could dip the clutch, turn the key and it would start again.
    This happened a few times, until it happened again and wouldn't start again.
    Plenty of fuel (Half a tank +).
    It turns OK but will not fire - catches a little on the starter, but a split second.

Stuff so far...
    RAC originally came out, it was a late call out on at home, he grumbled about 'modern diesels' took the pipe off the injectors, said there was air getting in the lines, 'where do I want it towing to'? Didnt listen about the symptoms leading up to it. Just wanted to get home I think...
    I haven't had VAG COM on it yet... so I expect a telling off for that!
    I have changed the ignition switch
    The 109? relay changed
    Removed the loom cover in the engine and checked for breaks and fraying - all ok. Also tested with a multimeter
    Checked fuses OK and seated correctly.
    Fuel pump solenoid clicking

Questions about the issue
    • I think it points to fuel starvation so far
    • Could be immobiliser - but would that make it cut out whilst driving along and immediately restart?
    • I have read conflicting ideas about an in tank fuel primer/feeder pump being present on this model. When the key is turned to the ignition point, there is no noise from the tank area, should there be?. I don't want to be removing seats and carpets if there is no need. Could this have packed up after 280k miles of work - I know I would...
    • Any other suggestions?
    • It has a night heater running off the diesel if that could be a contributing factor

I have been on many forums, trying to track down the things I think it could be before having to send it out to a garage. I am worried if I do that they will start by replacing parts, sending me the bill and saying 'we've done everything we can think of, but its still not right... £2k please..'. Maybe I think too much!

All ideas gratefully received!

Regards
    Patrick

0 0 0

2. Re: T4 1998 2.5tdi Manual - Will Not Start - Turns but wont run 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bumping this for some help please!!

Really need to know if there is a pump in the tank on my model if you can answer anything for me!

0 0 0