Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can anyone please advise

I have a VW Passat TDi Sport 130 on a 2002 plate. The car had an intermittent power problem then the I lost power. I assumed the Air mass meter was at fault. I went to my local VW and had it replaced. Still nothing - it was still the same. I then took the old one back and got it replaced - and the second one did not work either. Frustrated i went to another dealership who just fittend the 3 pipe valve that sits between the turbo and air flow meter and still nothing! The garage told me it was something to do with my turbo -

If the turbo goes surely it should make a noise - i think its just a couple of pipes loose or a blockage somewhere - can anyone shed some light?

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Probably jammed turbo vanes but have you been informed of any fault codes? Surely one of these places must have read the ECU for codes?

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Probably jammed turbo vanes but have you been informed of any fault codes? Surely one of these places must have read the ECU for codes?

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I will investigate this. I do not have the info on me regarding the fault code and the info given on the problem - i will post this later - what is jammed turbo vanes?

0 0 0

4. Exclamation Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iworld View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I will investigate this. I do not have the info on me regarding the fault code and the info given on the problem - i will post this later - what is jammed turbo vanes?

Hi

I had the info on me after all! The info given to me by the VW garrage

was under there diagnostic:

Charge pressure
    Control postion Deviation
    Error code 17965

I do not know what they mean - but the car was fine - my dad was chjanging the fuel filter before the car lost power. He did say that there was a leak from the fuel filter as he installed the incoreect one - could diesal have gone anywhere near the pipes or the turbo itself?

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The two common reasons for this are jammed turbo vanes (Google "variable geometry turbo" for an explanation) and a jammed or occasionally a jamming MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. The MAP has to be diagnosed using a diagnostic computer whilst watching what are known as Measured Value blocks or live data. The sensor can be observed in Measuring blocks 08; sub group 011 in display zone 3 and the value should rise and fall with boost. What often happens is the value sticks at 2880 mBar and the ECU doesn’t like this so it shuts off the boost until the engine has been turned off and then back on. If the turbo vanes jam, most garages will try to sell you a new turbo or at least a strip down and clean. I have found that using the diagnostic computer in Basic settings 04, the vanes can be freed of with a light tap on the end of a long bar, directly onto the vane operating rod as the computer display changes from off the on. Also, a valve called an N75 can occasionally be responsible for this fault and this is checked in output tests. As you can see, this problem needs someone who knows the car and has the diagnostics system, to deal with it.

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The two common reasons for this are jammed turbo vanes (Google "variable geometry turbo" for an explanation) and a jammed or occasionally a jamming MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. The MAP has to be diagnosed using a diagnostic computer whilst watching what are known as Measured Value blocks or live data. The sensor can be observed in Measuring blocks 08; sub group 011 in display zone 3 and the value should rise and fall with boost. What often happens is the value sticks at 2880 mBar and the ECU doesn’t like this so it shuts off the boost until the engine has been turned off and then back on. If the turbo vanes jam, most garages will try to sell you a new turbo or at least a strip down and clean. I have found that using the diagnostic computer in Basic settings 04, the vanes can be freed of with a light tap on the end of a long bar, directly onto the vane operating rod as the computer display changes from off the on. Also, a valve called an N75 can occasionally be responsible for this fault and this is checked in output tests. As you can see, this problem needs someone who knows the car and has the diagnostics system, to deal with it.
    Thank you once again for a comprehensive and detailed answer - i will certainly try the recommendations and feedback to you the results

Just out of interest if the temp gauge does not move - when it drives then comes on again - what could that be? The tmep guage is 90 - some times it goes and sometimes it just stays at 0

Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Faulty coolant temperature sender. This should have come up as a fault code but may only be affecting the instruments which will have a code stored. It is cheap but fiddly to replace.

0 0 0

8. Question Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iworld View Post
    Thank you once again for a comprehensive and detailed answer - i will certainly try the recommendations and feedback to you the results

Just out of interest if the temp gauge does not move - when it drives then comes on again - what could that be? The tmep guage is 90 - some times it goes and sometimes it just stays at 0

Thanks

Hi

I had replaced the Air Mass MEter - then the AirVacum valve - still nothing has made an impact - what was interesting before i replaced the air vacum valauve was my mechanic used a spare one that he used - which was not the coreect one for the car - when i took it for a spin the turbo kicked in at over 2000rpm which is not ideal as it should kick in at 1700-1900rpm as the manual states. When i deduced the air vacum valuve as the problem - i took i purchased a new vacum valve from VW and had it installed from another VW garrage - (silly i know) sadly this had not rectified the problem. Does that mean i have to repalce the air vacum valve again adsthe new one may be faulty or incompatible? It really seems strnage as the error codes above only occured after i installed the new air vacum valve - they were not there before - the message i received before was for the air mass meter.

Can you advise?

thanks

iworld

0 0 0

9. Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    What fault codes are you getting now? It sounds like you have a faulty MAP sensor. Please don't take this personally but that last post wasn't at all easy to read.

0 0 0

10. Re: VW Passat Tdi Sport 130 2002 - Loss of Power - Turbo not kicking in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Just the error code 17965 -so far that i know

0 0 0

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast