0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi notice my car sometimes shows glow plug errors

P0671
    P0672
    P0673
    P0674

All points to glow plugs or loom, not sure how is wired in passat but if 1 glow plug is faulty would it give warning for all of them or the problem is loom broken wires.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Error codes help pls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    one code per glow plug. Make sure correct glow plugs are fitted.

0 0 0

3. Re: Error codes help pls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    one code per glow plug. Make sure correct glow plugs are fitted.
    Do you know what resistance they should show on CZ304? Is bit strange for all go at the same time so suspecting loom problem but I have no history of glow plugs been replaced when got this car so it could be that they just worn out.

0 0 0

4. Re: Error codes help pls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    What engine code - some plugs are 4.4v and others 7v so as Martin1810 states you must fit the correct ones for your engine.

Have them removed and tested. Renew if blown.

If it does turn out to be the loom then it's more expensive DIY would be roughly £120 for the loom and £25 or so for a new rocker cover gasket. Nothing else needed except tools. Takes 30 to 45 minutes to change if you know what you are doing otherwise an hour or two if fumbling through a Haynes, stopping to check what you're doing every 10 minutes and a longer pause while you figure out how to get the loom collars off without the VW special tools - Lol.

Add £100+ for labour at a garage possibly more.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

5. Re: Error codes help pls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    What engine code - some plugs are 4.4v and others 7v so as Martin1810 states you must fit the correct ones for your engine.

Have them removed and tested. Renew if blown.

If it does turn out to be the loom then it's more expensive DIY would be roughly £120 for the loom and £25 or so for a new rocker cover gasket. Nothing else needed except tools. Takes 30 to 45 minutes to change if you know what you are doing otherwise an hour or two if fumbling through a Haynes, stopping to check what you're doing every 10 minutes and a longer pause while you figure out how to get the loom collars off without the VW special tools - Lol.

Add £100+ for labour at a garage possibly more.
    Definitively DIY job for me, engine code BKP so I believe is the 7v CZ304 from reading around, interesting to hear about special tool to remove collars? any how to with out the tool??? I need to remove rocker cover and test everything first before I order new parts so will have to use old rocker gasket for now until I know which bits I need, £25 for gasket that is daylight robbery, I'm sure I have seen on ******* for lot less but company have bad review. Will start striping down this evening to have a look. I am handy with wires and solder so maybe can repair loom could save me bit money.

0 0 0

6. Re: Error codes help pls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    The wires do get brittle after spending tens of thousands of miles submerged in hot oil so soldering may be a fruitless task on an old loom and it would be more of a loom reconstruction necessary from the collar connector terminals using equivalent grade wires.

Rocker cover is easy just undo the bolts (they retighten in a pattern sequence to a specific torque - do not exceed it), remove any brackets, vacuum pipes and wiring loom clips connected to the cover and lift it off - there is sometimes a flange near the timing belt so it lifts then tilts up from the gearbox end slightly and bring it out towards the NS.

To take the loom out remove the small plastic lock pin carefully as they do break or ping off into the bowels of the engine bay. Unscrew the outer loom collar and move out of the way then remove the thin metal spring clip on the collar end inside of the head. Using a piece of rope or parachute chord (must be strong about 5mm to 1cm in diameter and around 3 ft long). Wrap the rope around the remaining outer collar so that you have a loop or two gripping the collar then hold both ends tight one above one below and slowly but firmly pull the top end whilst allowing the bottom end to unwind under tension. It's basically a rope coil spanner and used to undo many cylindrical items like cannister oil filters etc.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

7. Re: Error codes help pls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Ok I had a bit time today and car is fitted with 4.4v glow plugs, so which my car should have it have, 2007 2.0 TDI PD 140 BHP???

19.54 update

Well after having conversation with VW they did confirm should be 7V going by vin, so 4 new plug fitted and new gasket, wires has been check ect. hoping faults wont return in near future.
    Last edited by ade555; 26-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.

0 0 0