Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Throttle Valve Actuator Module repairable?

1. Throttle Valve Actuator Module repairable? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi all,

about a year ago my glow plug coil light on the dashboard started to flash while driving slowly. I have a VAG-COM tool which diagnosed the problem being the Throttle Valve Actuator Module.

I took it apart and cleaned it and the EGR valve. Unfortunately, the glow plug coil light still came on flashing intermittently while driving, so yesterday I decided to take it all apart and give it another good clean, both the Throttle Valve Actuator Module and the EGR valve (see pics) They are both spotless now and I can move the inside flap/gate in the Throttle Valve Actuator Module fine. I can close the flap but it springs open. Still unfortunately, the glow plug coil light came on flashing while driving yesterday... Seems it only comes on when a DPF regeneration starts, I assume that is when the TVA needs to close the flap/gate and fails?

The car runs fine, and when switching the engine off it does not jerk or anything, so I assume the TVA can close the flap/gate as the way I understand it, the TVA is meant to close the flap/gate to starv the engine of air to allow a smooth switch off, which seems to work fine?

Anyway, I thought perhaps adaption is needed after cleaning the TVA? So I hooked it up to my VAG-COM but I could not find any option to adapt... I went to the Engine Control -> Basic Setting and the only thing there I could find there was a option for "Test of throttle valve adaption" and when selecting this, while the engine is running, the test starts, the glow plug coil light starts flashing and the engine switches off. Is that normal, is that what is supposed to happen when you run this test?

I also tried a "forced emergency DPF regeneration" and then again the glow plug coil light starts flashing and it does not look as though a regeneration started as the engine is running at exactly the same RPM and you cant notice anything, even though the VAG-COM indicates "running"

As far as I understand, this is more or less the symptoms you can expect with a faulty TVA. Some variants of DPF regeneration will fail to start but DPF regeneration at "long journeys and high RPMs" will still work, is that correctly understood?

My DPF soot level is at 6.5g at the moment and below is my latest VCDS scan:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03L-906-022-CAG.clb
    Control Module Part Number: 03L 906 022 JM HW: 03L 906 022 B
    Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC H01 3173
    Software Coding: 0104002C18072118
    Work Shop Code: WSC 06335 000 00000
    ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI03L906022JM A01005 (AU48)
    VCID: 79FDE9D74949
    3 Faults Found:

4805 - Mass Air Flow during Regeneration too High
    P145F 00 [101] - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Mileage: 236533 km
    Date: 2017.06.13
    Time: 22:03:20

5293 - Throttle Valve Actuator Module (J338): Motor Circuit: Signal High
    P2103 00 [032] - Check DTC Memory
    9124 - Throttle Actuator Control System: Stuck Open
    P2111 00 [032] - No Signal/Communication
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 7
    Mileage: 236368 km
    Date: 2017.06.11
    Time: 10:16:10

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully someone can offer some answers, the main question is whether the Throttle Valve Actuator can be repaired?
    I did take it apart and as mentioned, the gate/flap closes and springs open fine but there were quite a lot of oil in the electric/motor compartment. I washed it all out using alcohol but the glow plug coil light still starts to flash sometimes while driving... again, I am assuming this happens when the DPF wants to regenerate, which by the way does seem to happen as I notice the RPM go up slightly and the exhaust sounds slightly more "hollow"

Thanks in advance for any answers/help!
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Throttle Valve Actuator Module repairable? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    When using "test of TVA adaptation" while engine running it will shut down, since flap closes and opens at this test, so when it closes, it cuts air to engine. Test this only with ignition on, let someome for you run the test and you observe the flap movement. While testing it should show status "running" and after few open/close movements it should show "finished correctly" and the pitch noise from TVA goes away. I also did not find any adaptations for this valve, looks like it does not exists...
    AUDI A4 B8 2.0TDI 2010 100kW CAGB

0 0 0

3. Re: Throttle Valve Actuator Module repairable? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks for replying Turbo.

That is a good suggestion... I will try the test again with just ignition on.

I did actually find that these throttle actuators are not that expensive.... £80 on Ebay... and my glow plug coil light started flashing again yesterday so I think I will just get a new one now... I've tried cleaning it twice now

0 1 0