Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I went to Halfords today considering getting a dashcam and paying them the £30 to fit it to the fuse box. But the guy told me he wouldn't fit it unless I speak to Audi first to ensure it didn't invalidate the warranty. Has anyone else had this experience and know what Audi will say? Thanks.
    S-line 272 - Night Black, Dynamic Package, Virtual Cockpit, All Wheel Steering, 21 5-twin-spoke alloy, Heated Rear Seats, Flat bottomed steering wheel, Valcona leather Rotor Grey, Panoramic sunroof, Rear side Airbags, Reversing Camera, Bose

0 0 0

2. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    It'll be fine. It's on it's own circuit so won't affect anything else.

0 0 0

3. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It'll be fine. It's on it's own circuit so won't affect anything else.
    That's what I thought too, seemed an odd process for Halfords to follow, but the guy continued, saying that he's not allowed to fit cameras to Seats under 7 years old due to their long warranty periods! I think I'll just tell him all's fine and to crack on...!
    S-line 272 - Night Black, Dynamic Package, Virtual Cockpit, All Wheel Steering, 21 5-twin-spoke alloy, Heated Rear Seats, Flat bottomed steering wheel, Valcona leather Rotor Grey, Panoramic sunroof, Rear side Airbags, Reversing Camera, Bose

0 0 0

4. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think halfords are respecting your warranty and any potential clause that is within as opposed to risk of anything happening when really it shouldn't as it should be on its own circuit. Although doesnt mean there wont be some silly mistake made in the process which could cause an issue that would not be covered. Pain in the rear. I'd check and confirm the warranty terms even getting in writing from manufacturer.

0 0 0

5. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnecharly View Post
    I think halfords are respecting your warranty and any potential clause that is within as opposed to risk of anything happening when really it shouldn't as it should be on its own circuit. Although doesnt mean there wont be some silly mistake made in the process which could cause an issue that would not be covered. Pain in the rear. I'd check and confirm the warranty terms even getting in writing from manufacturer.
    I'm sure I wouldn't be the first person to connect a 3rd party device to the fuse box, I can't think what would go wrong as you rightly say it's on its own circuit. I suppose I could use the cigarette socket, but any perceived risk would really be the same. Yep, a right pain!

0 0 0

6. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    There is no risk! If someone who works in a place like Halfords can't fit a dashcam into the fuse of then they shouldn't be working there.

0 0 0

7. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There is no risk! If someone who works in a place like Halfords can't fit a dashcam into the fuse of then they shouldn't be working there.
    A fair point and the Halfords guy definitely knew his stuff. But, I've spent my Sunday morning on googling "hardwire dashcam warranty" and it seems I'm not so unique with my worries! It's kind of common sense, if a manufacturer can prove that the dashcam installation caused a problem, then that specific problem would not be covered. That seems fair enough to me.

I agree there is no physical risk (so long as it's installed properly) so it's just the risk that Audi might get awkward and pull out some warranty small print and decide that a future fault, say, with the headlights, electric seats or even suspension was caused by me installing a 3rd party, non supported device.

Can't see Audi or any other manufacture getting away with that, so I think it's a "risk" worth taking and one which seems lower than not having a dashcam!

0 0 0

8. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    That was exactly my thinking after having my last two cars damaged whilst parked. Probability was greater than getting into some manufacturer warranty dispute!
    Former Q7 owner

0 1 0

9. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Anyone got any pics of a fitted dashcam on a Q7? Thinking about getting one installed on my new Q when it arrives next month after the bonnet and grill of my X6 got smashed up last week by debris falling off the lorry going in the opposite direction! Wasn't able to get any details as it just sped off (to be fair I doubt the driver realised what had happened) and so now it's an "at fault claim" with the insurers - £2.5k of damage!

0 0 0

10. Re: Haldfords fitting dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    It's worth doing. Do a search for Thinkware F770 and there's a long thread with pics
    Former Q7 owner

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast