1. Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I'm new to the site and was hoping to have a bit of advice.

I drive a 2014 Golf GTD was recently involved in an accident when a lorry side swiped my car 😢. The car has gone to the garage to be repaired and I received a photo update yesterday from my insurer. I don't know anything about how cars are repaired but felt a bit uneasy when I saw the photo. I tried to phone the garage for them to explain what the current process but they had all gone home. This could just be me stressing and being stupid buf my car is my pride and joy and I want to make sure that the repair is done well.

Ive attached some photos of the damage and the current repair photo of the car. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    so your car is being repaired and they havn't finished yet ? they have used filler to fill dents and will then spray the whole side and when its done you probably wont notice..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah it's still in being repaired. I think the photo they sent scared me a bit. Is there anything I should look out for when they've finished?

0 0 0

4. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    look for any evidence of a repair, swirl marks, da marks, overspray, spray lines, etc etc..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    They've took a bit longer and took the door handles off.... a cheapo repairer would just mask them off.
    Stop being scared.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 1 0

6. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Brilliant. Thank you zollaf

0 1 0

7. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks I just needed some reassurance from people who know more than me. I'm feeling a lot better about the whole thing now. Thanks again.

0 1 0

8. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd always take it to a VW repair centre or demand it atleast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XLYC View Post
    I'd always take it to a VW repair centre or demand it at least.
    Me too - it's a common misconception that the insurers say where the repair is to be done. This isn't the case - it's your car, it can be repaired wherever you want and they pick up the bill. I learned that lesson years ago, before I knew, when Direct Line shipped my Ford Focus of the time to the local bodgers to be repaired - I saw cars being sprayed outside on a windy day. It took them three attempts before I reluctantly accepted a barely adequate job. Never again. I always insist my local VW dealer, which has its own body shop, do all repairs and insurers have never quibbled. This ensures your bodywork warranty stays intact and you know genuine VW parts are used. That's not to say there aren't good independent body shops, far from it.
    VW Golf MK7 Match 1.4TSI 122PS 5dr DSG | 2015 | Reflex Silver | Climatronic | SE wheels

0 0 0

10. Re: Car repair go 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Last Monday my car went into the VW dealers for its first 12 month service. It was delivered back to my house just after 5pm. Despite the report sheet saying it had been washed and vacuumed it looked a bit dusty.
    I decided to take the car for a short spin around the block. In doing so I got involved in a RTA when someone came out of a side road, on a bend and smashed into my front offside wing, headlight assembly, bumper apron etc. Car was forced (or I drove towards the pavement to lessen the impact) thus resulting in two deflated tyres and two damaged alloy wheels.
    Eventually the AA sent a removal firm to take car into storage overnight and my car is now at the VW dealer's body shop awaiting repair. A few days later ,my Insurer's 'Engineer' has sanctioned the repairs and hopefully in the coming days new parts will be ordered and eventually sprayed up and assembled.
    My front NS wing is beyond repair as is the headlight assembly and possible the whole front bumper apron. In addition, I need two replacement Alloy wheels and three Michelin tyres. This is what I assume but there could be additional stuff when things are dismantled.

I would have thought, depending on the damage to your car that perhaps door panels might have been replaced rather than filled in but I suppose that depends on the extent of the damage.
    2016 VW Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4TSI 125ps 5dr in Reflex Silver.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast