1. Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, just had my 3.0 Tdi serviced and on checking the oil level on the MMI it shows half way between min and max. Is this what I should expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A6 C7 3.0tdi (soon!)

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimbarry View Post
    Hi, just had my 3.0 Tdi serviced and on checking the oil level on the MMI it shows half way between min and max. Is this what I should expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely no. Had the same on my last service and they topped it up the next day for free...

Sent from my mobile...

0 0 0

3. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    This subject seems to crop up quite regularly. Try a search, or contact the service dept.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Its a common issue, imagine how much a service department would make a year by short filling 0.5L every car, but still charging the same. Had it happen to me at BMW - went mental at them, they ended up refunding the labour cost of the service as you could see in their faces I'd rumbled them. In front of them I quickly totted up that if they did this on every car, across a year, it would be another £60-£70k more profit for the service department. What I do now is I check the oil level before leaving the dealers, not so obvious these days what you are doing, but with the old fashioned dipstick, it is more obvious.

I don't do this to be difficult, but out of a bad experience, I had a diesel BM low filled with oil at a trusted indy. I didn't check the level after the service, a month later it went for an MOT, and it had low oil advisory, and they added 1 litre. On dipping the oil, it barely registered on the dip stick even with the 1L added. At this point I thought I must have a major oil leak. I topped it up and monitored. It didn't budge for the next 5-10k, so only explanation was not enough added at the service. Fast forward 6 months, and I have a whining turbo bearing.
    Current Fleet
    2017 Audi A6 Avant BiTdi
    2008 BMW Z4M Roadster
    2003 Clio 172 Cup

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    It could be an honest mistake/ oversight.
    I hate how the a6 has no dipstick. Every time I check the MMI and it's low ish I top it up a bit and check the MMI again for it to tell me that's it need warmed up for 10 minutes or something before it will register. Pain in the ***.
    I hope the dealer has more sophisticated tools, i.e. A dipstick, to do this.
    Half way between full and low is probably the oil filter filling up with oil.

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    imagine how much manufacturers save when they sell a new car thats only filled to the min level. ford apparently did this back in the day, saved a litre on every new car.. soon adds up.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

7. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Getting oli levels correct can actually be a pain in the rear even on identical models, I service trucks and what I do is play safe and add correct qty minus 1 litre, overfilling is even more hassle as the trucks sulk, even like this sometimes it can show as max on the stick yet i know its one litre short, time is also a factor ie standing time after engine has first run and in a dealer I guess there is no spare time in/out repeat repeat and so on.
    Other factors also include when the engine was last run and was it up to operating temp making the oil drain easier and faster.

They will have an oil qty fill list listing dry and wet refill quantities, sometimes people get them mixed up then you end up with way to much oil in the motor, also some engines if you drain sump and refit the bung before removing the oil filter you have to add approx 1 litre of oil less to take into account whats held in the system before removing the filter.
    It may also be computerised, ie they put in vin and the pump dispenses whats in its memory, run engine quick check and its okay, many hours later after its settled its now low.

Season can effect it as well same as tyre pressures.

0 2 0

8. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    landrover discovery 200tdi. stop engine, wait 5 mins check level.. on min. add 1 litre, get it to max, check again. come back to it the next day and its way over the max... needs at least an hour after running to drain down again... better to have a little too little oil than too much... dpf's dont like too much...
    check your oil after its rested for an hour, instructions might say 5 mins, allow an hour, if its still low ask for it to be topped up. simples.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

9. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    My last ultra had too much out the factory. Drove 100 miles after collection and restarted the car and MMI says too much oil. AA came out and sucked just under a litre out and then it settled to max.
    So it's easy to get it wrong.

0 2 0

10. Re: Oil level after service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    200tdi one of the most annoying land rovers engines to get the oil correct on, I find over night is best to be accurate.
    I have two and I managed to overfill them both last oil change!
    Just done the D3 and thats easier but has the worlds most carp dipstick.

0 2 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast