Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi Guys hoping someone will be able to help with this one.

Uk Audi A4 B8 2008 2.0tdi without auxiliary heating

Did a routine scan on the car and found it to have fault in Address 08: Auto HVAC:
    Fault 03220 - Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422)
    009 - Open or Short to Ground

Looked up Climatronic (N422) on Elsa for location but for the life of me I just can not find the N422 solenoid (needle in a haystack springs to mind).

Hoping someone has come across this problem on a B8 and can guide me to the location.

Many thanks in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    You dont have that maybe, if its fitted, it should be in the area of the cylinder head or in plenum chamber!

In elsa search for N422, it will guide you to the aircondition...Position, activation and operation of coolant shut-off valve -N422- / -N82- and coolant shut-off valve etc... and you find a needle
    Last edited by Gunnark100; 06-06-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    A48K5 2008 Retrofits: FL Taillights, Bixenon, Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster, ADS with button, MMI 3G & 3G+(With Street view) Other Stuff: Ecu tune, Front bumper valance "Rieger look", Sideskirts, VCDS mod, Interior leds, Basic sound to Audi SS + B/O sub/tweeters+activsub, Soundproofing,Tinted windows, Interior 6D carbon wrap, Painted calipers, 18" Wsp wheels Peeler style, FL gearknob, Efficiency prog via cluster & gateway flash...

0 1 0

3. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnark100 View Post
    You dont have that maybe, if its fitted, it should be in the area of the cylinder head or in plenum chamber!

In elsa search for N422, it will guide you to the aircondition...Position, activation and operation of coolant shut-off valve -N422- / -N82- and coolant shut-off valve etc... and you find a needle
    Hi thanks for the post and info Gunnark. I have double checked and I just can not find it, from what I can see from elsa it should be attached to a water pipe somewhere or vacuum and from what I can see there is nothing engine or plenum chamber side except EGR and turbo vacuum pipes.

Does it have one fitted ? I can not say, but can not see why it would throw an error code for something that was not installed.

See below scan of HVAC system back in 2010.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels: None
    Part No SW: 8T2 820 043 S HW: 8T2 820 043 S
    Component: KLIMA 3 ZONEN H06 0140
    Revision: D0000000 Serial number: 0130.04.080590
    Coding: 34040000
    Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
    No fault code found.

And an upto date one

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: Redir Fail!
    Control Module Part Number: 8T2 820 043 S HW: 8T2 820 043 S
    Component and/or Version: KLIMA 3 ZONEN H06 0140
    Software Coding: 34040000
    Work Shop Code: WSC 06325 123 12345
    VCID: 42805CD5DD350A51BF-8016
    1 Fault Found:
    03220 - Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422)
    009 - Open or Short to Ground
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01101001
    Fault Priority: 3
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 196
    Mileage: 121986 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2017.06.05
    Time: 16:42:31

As you can see from both scans the software coding of 34040000 has remained the same so no change in the system and no false modules to throw a fault code.

Again thanks for your help

0 0 0

4. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Between those two scans is there anything dealer or you have been done regarding software updates or coding or adapting modules? If not, you probably have this valve. I dont have disel or personal expirience with this valve and yes it was hard to understand by elsa where it is on 2.0tdi engine as it was like generic overview for this valve....all engine models were descraibed on one document....but will double check again a bit later.

0 1 0

5. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Is this - n422 location B on your engine maybe?
    http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4_...s/a4-16089.png

0 1 0

6. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks once again Gunnark for your help. the only thing I did was refile air con system as it was a little low, also did channel adaptation s to channels 1 and 3 to calibrate system.

Have tried clearing error code but without success, yes I did see location B on elsa have had a look but still can not find N422, will have to remove bottom engine cover and have a look from underneath the car as can not see anything at the top.

Thank you once again.

0 0 0

7. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Try follow the hoses, you might see this sucker with flashlight between firewall and engine from left side...it should look same as N488 as audi uses for other models also! Usual story connector/plug oxidized...

4H0 121 671 B

Just example picture, ignore location, on facelift it is in plenum chamber!

Печка дует холодным воздухом, клапан N422 — бортжурнал Audi A5 Sportback 2012 года на DRIVE2

But don't take this info as a fact, could be that your 2008 tdi coolant shut off valve might be other type...
    Last edited by Gunnark100; 07-06-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    A48K5 2008 Retrofits: FL Taillights, Bixenon, Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster, ADS with button, MMI 3G & 3G+(With Street view) Other Stuff: Ecu tune, Front bumper valance "Rieger look", Sideskirts, VCDS mod, Interior leds, Basic sound to Audi SS + B/O sub/tweeters+activsub, Soundproofing,Tinted windows, Interior 6D carbon wrap, Painted calipers, 18" Wsp wheels Peeler style, FL gearknob, Efficiency prog via cluster & gateway flash...

0 1 0

8. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi and thanks once again for your help, I have had a good look all over the car today, removed bottom engine cover and plenum chamber covers and looked everywhere with mirrors in places that I can not see to good and there is absolutely nothing that even resembles what elsa is showing or the picture in your post.

I have looked at coding again and adjusted some adaptations to make sure coding changes of which it does and it throws other errors because of the wrong coding, I then copy and paste code from 2010 scan and all other errors are removed all except this one coolant shut-off valve -N422.

I have carried out VCDS output tests and just before the end of the tests it shows test for coolant shut-off valve, it goes from open to closed 0-1 when moving the temperature control from low heat to high. I assume this is just showing the dials being adjusted rather than the N422 valve.

As said this one has truly got me stumped, I can understand if coding had been changed it would throw an error if something was not installed, but the coding is the same as the day it can out if the factory. Could it be a faulty cable or other module throwing this error.

Thank you once again for your time and help.

0 0 0

9. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Why I asked about do you have done or someone adapted something was because of this:
    Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422

The Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422 is fitted (depending on the engine specification) in the area of the cylinder head. It is only fitted in vehicles with a 4- or 6-cylinder petrol engine. If an optional extra auxiliary heater is fitted in vehicles with these engines, no Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422 is installed. In such cases the built-in coolant shut-off valve -N279 performs this function. Activation of the Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422- can be disabled by way of the air conditioner adaption function. The Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422- is only activated if OFF mode is set for the air conditioner, the engine speed is below 5000 rpm and the coolant temperature is below 90 °C. So when installing, be sure to connect the vacuum hoses correctly.

YZNote:
    If a fault relating to the Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422 is stored, check whether the Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422 is actually fitted in this vehicle and that the Climatronic control unit -J255 has been correctly adapted by way of the adaption function. If -N422 is indicated as a fault on a vehicle not fitted with a Climatronic coolant shut-off valve -N422, change the adaption.

Its not related to coding, could be that played with adaption, automaticly other channel changed also so to say, related to the N422, but I still want to belive you have somewhere this silly valve, as by text above, still feels that on your car is electro magnetic vacuum valve and is controlling this shut off valve...like on elsa picture....in this case you should have like two valves, on is vacuum valve controlled by this silly electro vacuum valve...

So, somewhere between the hoses is this:
    09-11 AUDI A4 B8 Heater Core Coolant Control Valve Heater Core 1J0 819 809 | eBay

and tiny vacuum hose will lead you to the electro/vacum valve which controls this !

Maybe only(Sry)

0 1 0

10. Re: Stop Valve for Coolant for Climatronic (N422) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Maybe you can find correct wires heading to/from the valve:

page 8 on attachment

https://www.google.ee/url?sa=t&rct=j...kVTYw_SH4bQE9Q

engine ecu to N422 red-yellow and climatronic unit to N422 white red

But as per this page 22 you don't have it:
    http://documentslide.com/documents/s...on-system.html

Just non-return valve and hose thermostat, both are not controlled by electric and will not throw a error, and discussed here:

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...nt-temperature

So change adaption, delete error or not and make a query at dealer in future - do you have or not and where! It is not important error anyway at least summer time!
    Last edited by Gunnark100; 08-06-2017 at 04:25 AM. Reason: More info :)

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast