1. New car - an introduction! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, thought I would introduce myself.

Ive recently bought an 08 Golf 1.4 TSI in what I believe is Diamond Black pearl and 64k on the clock. I've upgraded from my first car - a 9N3 VW Polo 1.4 in the fab Silverbird Metallic which I drove for a year but Im doing motorway miles most of the time and it was a bit down on power. Anyway it sold within a week.

Overall its OK, in fairly decent nick but obviously had some panel damage at some point in its life. Only had a part service history as well, the original book was lost but the owner had a new one stamped up by the local VW dealer for the services that he had had done. I mainly bought the car based on condition as its nearly 10 years old at the end of the day. Having said that, it drives well and the price was almost too good to pass on with the guy I bought it from being very honest and upfront (frankly I'd prefer that than finding issues down the line).

Seems to have a few mods from what I can see - the rear tints are extremely dark and the car is colour coded all around which I dont think is standard? Additionally, there appears to be a subtle blow off valve, K&N induction kit and the car pulls extremely hard between 2-4k RPM so I suspect its had a remap.

Has a few issues I need to sort -

1) Door panel rattle (seems to have been changed as the interior trim piece is different) - also no torx screw and have no idea what size it is!
    2) Dash cam wiring (may need some help with this as Ive never hardwired it before and no owner manual!)
    3) Full detail inside and out (now that its summer and uni is over!)
    4) Brushed aluminium wrap on the door trim pieces and the piece near the steering wheel and glovebox so its all the same (thinking of leaving the centre console as it is)

Anyway here are some pics, not the best quality as taken on phone-

2017-04-30 12.28.25.jpg
    2017-04-30 12.28.12.jpg

Also, hard to tell from the photos but the VW nut covers were shocking! Someone had obviously had a good go with an acidic wheel cleaner and whilst the previous owner had refurbished the wheels, the VW nut covers were white!

So I basically sanded them all down and painted them with 3 coats of black gloss paint from ebay!

20170525_155707.jpg

And the result:

2PouYjS - Imgur.jpg

I also found my windscreen wiper was hitting the windscreen seal so opened the hood, popped off the cover and adjusted it (needed some brute force using the pushdown method near the hinge!) and its fine now.

Overall, first impressions are great - the car is smooth, excellent on the motorway in fact. Its also relatively economical - Im achieving about 45mpg which is more than my Polo 1.4 (39mpg, low 30's on a spirited drive).

Apart from the driver door rattle, everything else is rattle and squeak free and everything just works - great for a 9 year old vehicle and so far very happy with it

0 0 0

2. Re: New car - an introduction! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Looks very clean I also have a 1.4 tsi 58 plate in silver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: New car - an introduction! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So, thought I would update this thread.

Over the past few months, the car has soldiered on over 5k miles and has had no issues. There was a slight scare at which point I thought it was leaking coolant but it turned out the cap wasn't fully clicked in so it was condensing on the underside and then running down the outside of the tank. This stopped once the cap was clicked in properly. On top of that, some ***** decided to scrape the front passenger side bumper whilst the car was parked!

A few things I've done since:

1) Installed a dashcam - hardwired it into the drivers side fusebox using the ABS fuse No.2

pxQl67Il.jpg

2) Somewhat fixed the rattle in the drivers door by finding a screw and fitting it
    3) Managed to get the detailing done. Paint was hard as nails so had to use a fairly aggressive combo and work down.
    4) Vinyl wrapped the door trim in brushed aluminium effect
    5) Headlight bulb blew - was a Philips LongLife bulb but I changed both out to Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited

Overall very pleased with the car - its regularly returning 50mpg on a run which is great IMO. It can hit 55mpg on country lanes if taking it easy too!

Just a few questions though - there's a gurgling noise in the interior which goes when the AC is turned off. Any idea what this could be and how to fix it? Also the 70k service will be coming up soon. Anything particular that needs checking/changing at this point?

0 0 0