1. Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    A satisfying afternoon. Car cleaned and looking ready for another week on the road, and have just done a windscreen chip with a £3.50 kit from eBay.

I could not bear the hassle of a new screen as last time the fitter ruined both "A" pillar trims. So thought i would give it a go.
    90mins and a bit of rain dodging, but all done.

Results are as good as the clip here if anyone else has any annoying chip that doesn't really warrant a new screen.

How to Repair a Windshield Chip or Crack - YouTube

Link to kit if you want the same one i had.

Car Crack Premium Windscreen Repair Kit & DIY Chip Windshield Glass Wind Screen | eBay

0 0 0

2. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    The chip in my screen was tiny and barely noticeable but it turned into a 250mm crack within a week of me noticing it so I'll be organising a new screen this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7 TDI quattro, 272 ps Black Edition - Tornado Grey, black leather, 20" twin spoke titanium wheels, air suspension, ambient lighting, tech pack adv, parking pack adv, speed limit display, htd front & rear seats, adaptive cruise, memory seats & dimming door mirrors. Gone now: 1 x BMW, 3 x Audi, 1 x Mercedes, 2 x Saab, 1 x Volvo, 3 x Peugeot, 3 x VW, 2 x Citroen, 3 x Ford, 6 x Vauxhall, 2 x MG, 2 x Triumph, Honda CB750K7, Suzuki GT250A.

0 0 0

3. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Apparently the resin repairs are stronger than the original glass. Hopefully the repairs saves the need for a new screen.
    Maybe check or photograph your A pillar trims before the screen is done. The wire used to remove the old screen cut the fabric and left it all frayed plus lots of grubby finger marks. Ended up with new trims being fitted as i complained.

0 0 0

4. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Good idea, will do

Audi A7 TDI quattro, 272 ps Black Edition - Tornado Grey, black leather, 20" twin spoke titanium wheels, air suspension, ambient lighting, tech pack adv, parking pack adv, speed limit display, htd front & rear seats, adaptive cruise, memory seats & dimming door mirrors. Gone now: 1 x BMW, 3 x Audi, 1 x Mercedes, 2 x Saab, 1 x Volvo, 3 x Peugeot, 3 x VW, 2 x Citroen, 3 x Ford, 6 x Vauxhall, 2 x MG, 2 x Triumph, Honda CB750K7, Suzuki GT250A.

0 0 0

5. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DEF33 View Post
    Apparently the resin repairs are stronger than the original glass. Hopefully the repairs saves the need for a new screen.
    Maybe check or photograph your A pillar trims before the screen is done. The wire used to remove the old screen cut the fabric and left it all frayed plus lots of grubby finger marks. Ended up with new trims being fitted as i complained.
    Erm... take them off? That would be the best solution.

0 0 0

6. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glassman View Post
    Erm... take them off? That would be the best solution.
    ^^^^ totally agree. I'm on my 3rd windscreen, and both times the Autoglass technician carefully removed the trim before replacing the windscreen. Clips back on afterward. No damage to them.
    A7 55 TFSI S-Line 2018

0 0 0

7. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, do Autoglass fit their own version of the "acoustic glass" screen or do they use original OEM screen from Audi?

I had a screen replaced on a Toyota RAV4 last year and the new one was noisy with lots of wind buffeting from the centre of the screen at 70mph. I was convinced the new screen was "thinner" and cheaper quality than OEM.

Audi say that if there are any cameras looking through the screen (LED headlights use one at top of screen) then only and OEM will work properly and the camera will need to be calibrated.

I have this single camera on my A7 (2016 272 quattro) . It seems a shame to compromise and potentially lose the zero wind-noise experience of the A7.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

0 0 0

8. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I'm insured with Admiral and they referred me to Autoglass for a recent windscreen replacement on my 2016 A7 BE, which has the central safety camera behind the mirror. Autoglass required the work to be done at one of their depots and it took nearly 3 hours, including recalibrating the camera. The new screen is Pilkington and has no Audi markings, but I've not noticed any increased wind noise.
    I did notice that the distance alert wasn't flashing up on the HUD & instruments afterwards (I tend to drive too close to other cars so see it most days), so made a return visit to Autoglass and they redid the calibration - having checked it seemed the first attempt had used A6 settings and that was enough to affect the sensor in the camera reading distances - it's fine now with the correct A7 settings.
    Overall I'm happy with Autoglass, they did a very neat job, didn't cause any damage and sorted the calibration when I queried it - plus the £75 I paid to Admiral was a better deal than the £1200+ price that the Audi dealer quoted me...

0 0 0

9. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that reassurance.

The OEM Audi screen on my A7 is labelled Audi and also Pilkington, so it look as if this is the same part without the Audi badge premium.

I have a HUD also but none of the distance alert goodies unfortunately.

many thanks.

0 0 0

10. Re: Windscreen Chip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchardpeach View Post
    Thanks for that reassurance.

The OEM Audi screen on my A7 is labelled Audi and also Pilkington, so it look as if this is the same part without the Audi badge premium.

I have a HUD also but none of the distance alert goodies unfortunately.

many thanks.

FYI Just an addendum to the above : I was WRONG, My screen doesnt have Audi on it, just Pilkington. (As I purchased it used/approved, it could of course already have had a screen replacement).

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast