1. '54 plate 1.8T Beetle cabriolet - rear quarterlights problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Both rear quarterlights failed to go back up having dropped the hood for the first time this year. They behaved like any other window does when the plastic guides get worn, i.e. they went up about half way then went back down again. Unlike that though they don't respond to being helped or manually pulled up whilst working the switch. I can't quite see how to get to the mechanisms to check though, and I don't want to start forcing plastic trim apart in case I break something.

Has anyone done this job before, or even just fitted a new quarterlight? Some help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: '54 plate 1.8T Beetle cabriolet - rear quarterlights problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An old thread I know, but we had one of the rear windows fail on my wife's 2004 last week (typically at midnight in the pouring rain). It got stuck about 2/3rds of the way up and then went back down again. After trying the switch several times there was a loud cracking noise and the window disappeared inside the panel for good.
    I did a quick search on ebay and bought a repair kit for £14 which consisted of the cables, the cable anchor and a guide wheel. It took a while to do the job as there's quite a lot to dismantle (rear seat out, quarter panel trim, speaker panel etc.). I found that the cable anchor had shattered and one of the cables was frayed. Reassembly of the cables was a bit fiddly, but there are some Youtube videos on how to do it. All working perfectly now.

0 0 0

3. Re: '54 plate 1.8T Beetle cabriolet - rear quarterlights problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi Mike

Glad you fixed it - yes it is a bit of a faff to do! All I'd say is get a repair kit for the other side and fit it before that one breaks, it won't be far behind!

Also on these, be ready for the door lock mechs to go gaga - the minute they start playing up (e.g. windows don't drop slightly when opening the door, don't rise again after, just don't behave correctly) replace them! You don't want to have to go through what I did to get one out when it fails with the door shut and locked!

0 0 0

4. Re: '54 plate 1.8T Beetle cabriolet - rear quarterlights problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Zap View Post
    You don't want to have to go through what I did to get one out when it fails with the door shut and locked!
    All PQ34 and PQ35 platform door locks are highly unreliable, the worst is a Golf 5 when the door won’t open. I see fault codes on the system when doing a service and notice developing problems often, writing them down on the service sheet and warn people that it will be a sketch if they pack up but no one ever takes any notice.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0