Notices

User Tag List

Thread: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    love the valve spring compressor...
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

2. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    should have engineers do the whole thing crasher

Yeah the compressor was made by local mechanic up the road haha, worked great though! not like the snap on ones i've seen, with this i could ease pressure on slowly on turn at a time, which seemed to work better with bent valves as i could feel it as i went, and jig it a little if needed.

does anyone know the part number for the Centre (third) camshaft bearing Cap? one of the cam cover bolts snapped off inside it, a little while ago now, when i first took the cover off. I can't seem to find it online anywhere or even ebay for my make.

[reminder of the car: REG m168 whj 1.4 MK3 golf 1995 ABD engine. ]

Cheers

0 0 0

3. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    okay, so its all done. i quadruple checked the timing this time! it started. but its VERY chuggy. but i know two coolant hoses on the intake (under the throttle body) are not tight on and are dribbling as the hose clips broke and i used oversized Jubilees on them - getting new ones tonight.

I understand that could be pulling in air and making it run Lean, right? I mean the whole engine sounds Massively louder too. like ones of those annoying boy racers. . . as far as i could tell - the exhaust wasn't leaking but i noticed that within 1 minute of starting the engine, the exhaust manifold was too hot to touch, i only checked as the engine was steaming!! turned it off immediately.

is this most likely because its pulling in too much air (vacuum leak) on those hoses?

(i also put too much oil in the damn thing. also sort that tonight)

i have video so you can hear it!

0 0 0

4. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    that sounds like an exhaust leak around the manifold. did you use a new geasket between head and manifold ?
    yes, if you pour gas at 700 degrees into an exhaust manifold, it will get hot. laws of physics see.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

5. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    How have you set the ignition timing?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    yeah, i've been thinking about it, and genuinely think its probably the exhaust manifold leaking as one of the nuts sheared off.

yeah all new gaskets, im sourcing a nut to try and get it on, as there is a little bit of thread still available - thought 4 of 5 nice and tight would do it for now. But that was what threw me off it was the sound, its SO much louder, and this is coming from someone who drove around with a hole in his exhaust for a few months before he could afford a new tail. anyway, gonna check it properly tonight, hope it still isn't raining!

As far as the cylinder head, i did it! and as long as this issue isn't a valve related issue then i succeeded thank you guys

0 0 0

7. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuggit View Post
    one of the nuts sheared off
    Top row on the far left as you look at it by any chance? I know you are new to this nightmare called mechanicing but you should have stopped there and gone back, drilling this out with the head on means removing the whole front of the car to get a clean line of attack. Running it with an exhaust manifold leak will also allow air to be drawn into the system by the pulse effect of the gases exiting and this air contains circa 21% oxygen, this will flow over the Lambda sensor and the resultant signal will tell the ECU to keep adding fuel as it thinks the engine is running lean, it will continue to do this until it massively over fuels the engine.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

8. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Ah. well, i think lady luck is on my side, i managed to get a nut onto it as there was maybe 2 or 3 lines of thread on it still, and most importantly perhaps, re-tightened all the others on the manifold and it turns out i hadn't done them up very much! It was late when i was doing that.

but not the manifold is on tight and sturdy, i lay down in the pouring rain and dropped out some oil and got it to the correct level and now the engine sounds exactly like it used to and i drove it to work today! Success!!!

19576922_10159375425600354_1717818567_o.jpg Now this beast is back on the road haha

0 0 0

9. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    O my god. What a Turf....
    2000 2.5TDI Quattro 173,000miles, just run in...Sold
    2006 TT 3.2 Quattro 40,000miles
    2005 A6 Avant 3.0TDI Quattro

0 1 0

10. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    If you hadn't used garden tools you might have had fewer problems.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

1 1 0

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345