Notices

User Tag List

Thread: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,

So my Title pretty much sums up my issue - I was fixing a simple leak and when I when to start the engine it made a fully noise trying to turn over. I took the Timing cover off and had my partner turn the key, all the sprockets are turning, but the engine would not start. Then a clunk noise and she let go of the key. So, I took the Cam Cover off top of the engine and tried to turn the crank by hand, and it moves freely around but the pistons do not move at all. .. . . Keep in mind I saw the Cams trying to move against the pistons so I know (and further inspected) the Cam Shaft, and that is not broken.

Now I only re-timed this engine about 2 weeks ago. I mis-aligned the timing once the belt was off, so I had the cam cover off and timed it all to TDC and all was puurfect. Actually ran better than ever. But now this!....

I am going to continue inspecting tonight as I HOPE the Crank sprocket has sheared or something cheaper/simpler than a piston rod snapping or something horrible.

Any help/answers would be appreciated!

VW Golf 1995 MK3 ABD 1.4 Petrol.

0 0 0

2. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    everything is broken..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 0 0

3. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Any specifics ?

0 0 0

4. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Did you remove the crank centre bolt?

Where's Samo? He's normally all over Golf 3 questions like paint on a bush....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher - glad to have you on board!
    I did not remove the crank bolt at all. I did have to remove the Cam sprocket (using the correct tool) so that I could remove the timing case (to get to a core plug leak I was fixing) but if it moved the cams at all it was by a few mil and nothing more.

I did not remove the lower serpentine belt either.

0 0 0

6. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    What you describe doesn’t add up unless the crank has snapped at the journal for number 1 main and I have never seen that on this type of engine, well almost any engine! Have a look through the ignition timing inspection hole in the gearbox whilst turning the front pulley and see if the flywheel rotates.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Right, I will do. I'll also check properly around the Crank Sprocket see if it's definitely turning with the pulley etc.

I get home after 6pm so I'll be having spoke around. I really hope the crank shaft hasn't snapped.

I'll let you know asap.

0 0 0

8. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Right,

okay, so I've had a poke. The Crank shaft is most definitely connected to the Flywheel. No Doubt about it, I marked the Flywheel through the hole in the bellhousing with a sharpie and it definitely moved, had to rotate it backwards and then forwards..

- - The Crank pulley would not move with the timing belt still on the cam sprocket, took it off and it moved. BUT unlike last night, it would Not turn the full 360 degrees. This time it would only move so far before stopping.

I then removed the Cam Head and saw no pistons under the cams even try to move as I hand cranked the engine. [again, had to reverse turn it before forwards, still no movement in piston either way]

Then I Gently poked each piston with the plastic sharpie I had to hand. This bit might be interesting for a diagnosis. . Three out of Four of the right hand Pistons dipped downwards with a poke. Right hand being the one on the right out of each Pair.

I have attached a picture of the one that DID NOT move downwards at all. I even rotated the cams around to give it breathing room. No matter the cams position, the piston pictured did not budge, which it must have on moving the cams around but it moves so fast I did not see.

Now am I right in thinking that the rod is bent on this one?

18836392_10159198614405354_625067188_o.jpg

0 0 0

9. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    ok, so your terminology is slighty wrong but very confusing. its like telling your doctor you have earache then taking yous socks off for him to examine your feet. those 8 things that wont move are tappet buckets, not pistons. they push down on the valves not the rods. the pistons are below those, connected to the crank with rods. the long metal bit at the top of that picture with the lobes on is the cam shaft. that pushes down on the tappets to open the valves. so can i suggest you start again and describe whats going on using the correct terms, cos i havnt got a clue what you are on about and i know crasher hasn't either.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

10. Re: If I can turn the Crank pulley by hand but none of the Pistons move - What has broken? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I am sorry... I'm very new to this part of the engine and I am trying to understand it all as I learn what everything is.

Okay, so I'll give it another explanation, please be patient with me.

I do all the below with the Cam Cover off

I cannot hand crank the engine with the timing belt on.

I remove the timing belt but if I crank the engine by hand, it turns up to a certain point and stops. [I checked through the inspection hole that the Flywheel turned with it.] So no sheared crank pulley sprocket. But the tappet buckets do not move as they once did when I timed the engine weeks ago.

The Cam shaft can be turned [only once the timing belt is off] in its quarterly jolts as per usual.

This means I cannot time the engine as I have in the past/as I am supposed to if the cam and crank have turned independently because the tappet buckets do not move. .

This problem occurred once I had replaced a core plug behind the Timing belt cover (directly underneath the cam sprocket) and I am 99% sure it was still in time [due to the keyway on the cam sprocket] once I had finished the job, unfortunately I failed to actually check this as it was getting late. moot point now. but I had tried to start the engine and all the sprockets turned fine with the belt on but the timing case off and after two turns it made a clunk and then I haven't tried turning it on since.

So I hope this is a clearer explanation, if not long winded. .. Basically, the Tappet Buckets are not moving with crank and the engine will not start.

Thank you for your time

0 1 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast