1. MMI 3G Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have a 2010 A8 4.2 TDi 4H (D4) version.

It has MMI 3G standard. It has the original maps and buggy firmware that came with the car. I took it today to someone to upgrade the entire firmware and maps, but it turned out that he couldn't do it. When he plugged in he found that the MMI unit was one of a very few that were on early vehicles. After a relatively short time, these were changed from 4H0 035 666D to 4H0 035 666F. These units had chip changes inside and can be updated to the very latest spec. However, the very early ones will not take the updates and when he tried, it came up with the warning that the unit was unable to update and if he continued, some items would be corrupted. Needless to say he didn't do it.

However, on the way home, the Nav got lost, it could no longer tell where it was. It is picking up the Satellites, but it doesn't know where it is. The place it shows it is is no where near where it really is. I've tried the usual reset. Ignition on, the off etc etc. However none of this makes any difference.

My question is therefore:

1). Does anyone know of any kind of hard reset that can be done on the system?

2). Can a 4H0 035 666D be upgraded to a much later 4H0 035 666 (Q for instance). Although I realise that the security lockout will have to be removed by the local Audi garage.

3). Can a 4H0 035 666D be upgraded to an MMI 4H0 035 670 (various letters) which has the sim card slot as well as many extras.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers chaps.
    More Muppet than Man

0 0 0

2. Re: MMI 3G Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Here is procedure how to reset mmi .

U can upgrade to whatever you want , obviously component protection needs to be removed by dealer. Also if you choose unit with sim card you need to install aerials for gsm signal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: MMI 3G Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    thanks for the reply. I have tried this reset method may times. I was wondering if there was a hard reset rather than this soft reset method which as I mentioned, sadly doesn't work.

However, it is good news about the upgrade path being OK. Have you known someone do this before? I hadn't given any thought to the GSM aerial, so well mentioned. I wonder where Audi normally stash this item?

Thanks
    More Muppet than Man

0 0 0

4. Re: MMI 3G Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hard reset will be by cutting the power out , Either fuse for mmi (not sure which one) or battery disconnection.

Upgrading is messy job . There is some fascia dismantling job involve, also you need VCDS .

0 0 0

5. Re: MMI 3G Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A quick research online reveals that the GSM aerial is included with the GPS aerial in the fin. I just need to check if the wire goes from it to behind the head unit or not. Otherwise running under the headlining will be a pain.
    More Muppet than Man

0 0 0

6. Re: MMI 3G Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    From my experience there is no wire , sadly

0 0 0

7. Re: MMI 3G Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bummer about the cable, but thanks for the feedback. Removing old unit isn't too bad, I've already had a look and it was only four bolts and three pieces of trim, so not so bad. Do you know of someone who has upgraded the unit before that has worked. It would be nice to be sure. I'll have to let Audi or someone else do the protection removal and coding to the car.

Thanks
    More Muppet than Man

0 0 0