Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Looked at an A6, need some advice.

1. Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi all! I took this out for a spin today. Audi A6 , David Ferguson Car Sales, Newtownards, Used Cars NI
    Few things I'm not sure about:
    - at lower revs when moving off there was a slight... don't know how to describe it, but like a slight turbo whine taking off. Almost like a vacuum starting. I couldn't seem to hear it when up to speed.
    - When I put my foot down there was a slight delay in the power coming on. This is my first auto so I'm not sure if this is normal? It picked up speed okay, suppose you can't expect much with a car that size and 140bhp.
    (Bigger engine is out of the question when you're 21.)
    - Brake pedal seemed a bit hard when pulling up to a junction.
    Fantastic car, even on S-line suspension it was silky smooth compared to my old Leon. The car drove great, very smooth engine and gearbox. It was more than happy to rev out when in sport mode!Has 159,000 miles on it and it felt new to drive, amazing.

0 0 0

2. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Suppose best advice is do plenty of research on whatever gearbox is fitted,I had a faulty turbo on Audi 80 and it sounded like a police car siren

0 0 0

3. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    As a multitronic it should have had 3 gearbox fluid changes and is shortly due it's 4th.

If this hasn't been done walk away.

If you know anyone with VCDS/Vagcom get it scanned for faults, if the garage refuses or there are significant faults....walk away.

Note that a scan won't identify issues with the box
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 1 0

4. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Multitronic CVT sounds like something to be afraid of ?

Engine code , oil pump drive ?

0 0 0

5. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Gearbox oil changes seem to be something that dealers don't have a clue about when I ring up to ask and I know regular changes are a must. Going to look at an identical car today to compare.

0 0 0

6. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Gaz, only if it's not maintained properly. sadly most owners don't bother, even those with FASH

By way of rationalising Audi recommend 38k intervals in the multi but say 'sealed for life' on the tiptronic. Whereas the Tip manufacturer (ZF) say the same for the multi but 80k for the Tip and 50k onwards.
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

7. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Just back from taking https://www.usedcarsni.com/2008-Audi...-TDI-188675633 this one for a drive. Cleaner than the last one both inside and out. Surprisingly, the last car with 160k miles drove better! It felt a lot smoother in terms of suspension and the sound of the engine. I think it might be a good idea to try a few more, although the 2.0 with the auto box seems like a decent enough combo. Worryingly, the dealer didn't have a clue about the car's service history or if the car has had any gearbox oil changes done. Plenty of them about so I'll take my time to find one that has been looked after as I myself will want to keep it immaculate. I do get the feeling though that when a dealer sees a 21 year old coming to look at an A6, they think I'm taking the hand haha! Fantastic cars though. Any tips for main points to look out for? I noticed with the one from today that when I started it back up when the engine was hot, there was a slight shudder. Possible flywheel issue? Thanks for your replies so far! Quite a big difference compared to my mk1 Leon.

0 0 0

8. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Main point is the transmission,probably the most costly to rectify if it developed issue.

1 0 0

9. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    After wife decided she wanted an audi the only way to have an auto and avoid the multitronic was to get the 3.0tdi quattro.
    In the 3 years she had that A4 3.0 the number of threads with people asking after gearbox faults with the multitronic is scary and not just on Vag forums.
    Two 2nd hand car different dealers told me they no longer touch multitronics after being bitten in the 3 month warranty period.
    Try and find a warranted 2nd hand multitronic gearbox

VAG have recently done away with the multitronic saying the DSG is as good if not better.

0 1 0

10. Re: Looked at an A6, need some advice. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    We've gone from a Touran 2.0 Tdi manual 6 speed to a C5 model A6 auto and feel there's quite a difference in driving feel.

The Touran on a 140bhp Tdi is quite gruff with shorter gearing and very immediate throttle action with torque coming in quickly straight off tickover
    revs out ok but not worth ringing it out at the top end as it's quicker when changing it up and getting onto the beginning of torque curve again.

The Audi comparatively has as much softer initial throttle application and with the auto makes it very smooth to drive around slowly, but you have
    to squeeze it down more continuously to let it know you want more pace. The Audi is geared higher as well so much more relaxed as the speed
    gets higher. Fastest acceleration on ours feels like when you open the throttle and try to maintain just over 3000rpm to let the gearbox do its stuff
    and just sit back. It just keeps the engine bang in the meety part of the torque output and gets up to speed with no fuss.
    We have more problem keeping the speed down on motorway cruise as it just feels so refined you're just don't notice it's creeping up, unlike the Touran
    In which you're much less isolated from what sort of work the engine's doing.
    All very civilised in the Audi.

0 0 0