Notices

User Tag List

Thread: New DMF (inc slave & master cylinder) - clutch now sticking in 1st & reverse! Can you help?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. New DMF (inc slave & master cylinder) - clutch now sticking in 1st & reverse! Can you help?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

The DMF has been rattling for a while so thought I'd take the plunge and get it sorted. I bought the Sachs Clutch/flywheel kit, along with the Sachs Slave Cylinder and Master Cylinder to give it a complete overhaul (water pump, timing and aux belt also done as well as a major service!)

Since its return, I have had intermittent issues with the clutch. It's most common when is in stop/start traffic and using 1st. When you are in 1st, creep forward and come to a stop, the clutch will not fully disengage - despite my foot being in the floor. If I take my foot off the brake the car will start pulling forward, with my foot on the clutch, fully pressed. It also does this in reverse. Turn the engine off and the clutch fully disengages.

i have been back to the mechanic 3 times and he believes there to be air in the system. He has pressure bled the system, but the issues continue. The mechanic has also changed some washers as he thought he could see air bubbles escaping, but the rest of the pipe work is bone dry. I went to a different VW Indy and he stated the mechanic has done all he would and could offer no additional advice other than change the pipes/hosing - but can not be sure that would solve the issue!!

I'm at a total loss and don't know what to do - has anyone had a similar issue and managed to sort it? Any help would be awesome.......cheers!

0 0 0

2. Re: New DMF (inc slave & master cylinder) - clutch now sticking in 1st & reverse! Can you help?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    most clutches you fit to the flywheel and do the bolts up. yours however will be a self adjusting clutch . these need a special tool . you centralize the clutch, bolt the tool into 3 or 4 of the cover bolts, then wind the central handle to compress the fingers the release bearing runs on to push it down onto the flywheel, then tighten the cover bolts up. failure to do this will result in a clutch that wont work. never not used the right tool though so couldnt actually tell you what it would do, but chances are it would drag as yours is doing, so best to ask the mechanic if its a self adjusting clutch he fitted and if it was, did he use the right tool. they are a new thing, many old skool mechanics dont know about them.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: New DMF (inc slave & master cylinder) - clutch now sticking in 1st & reverse! Can you help?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Zollaff. In fairness to the mechanic, he works for a VW dealership so he should be aware of this. That said, I will check as I'm out of ideas so anything is worth a try

0 1 0