Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have to replace the serpentine belt on my 3.0 TDI BMK.

1. Do I have to remove the front end (bumper, radiotar, etc)?
    2. How to release the tension from the belt?
    3. Can I start the car for few minutes without the belt? Is it connected to the oil pump?

The reason for all this is strange noise coming from the engine. I want to start the car without the belt just for 2-3 minutes.

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: 3.0 tdi serpentine belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    You can probably just about change the belt, and tensioner without removing anything. Moving the front end into 'service lock' position will give better access.
    I wouldn't run the car for 2-3 minutes because the water pump is belt driven.

If you need to ask these questions maybe it best for a mechanic to do it.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 2 0

3. Re: 3.0 tdi serpentine belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can be changed without going into service position. Google should have instructions.

Mine has as a secondary electric water pump somewhere in the system, so running for a short time was fine. Yours may differ.

Noise is probably the tensioner failing. Mine went and did around $5000 worth of damage including radiator, water pump, sensors, wiring loom and had to be put into service mode to do the job. Dealer never replaced it 300klms earlier at service due to "it didn't need replacing" and apparently they don't have enough time when servicing vehicle to check things like that.

0 0 0

4. Re: 3.0 tdi serpentine belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Did this a few weeks ago on my tdi... The biggest pain in the *** was detensioning the poxy tensioner with I think a t60 torx.. Hardly any room.... But I used a combo spanner cut down at one end with a long 2ft bit of tube to lever it down.... Then you can get the belt off....

The tensioner quality is crap, as when I cleaned and checked on the bench it cracked !

New one £80 later, refitted belt etc.... Easier if you do this a few times... But I only took off the undertray, that's it. Access is damm tight, with my big hands!

I reckon next time start to finish I could do it in3hrs.....
    2007 3.0 tdi S-Line Avant.
    20 inch RS alloys, F/r park distance,S-Line leather, colour coded All road side skirts, Xenons
    Luv it !

0 0 0