1. 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Getting to grips with my allroad after various jobs completed.

Had the starter and glow plugs replaced which really helped the starting. Only issue i have now is when she fires up she runs really lumpy for a few seconds and then shes fine ? Like shes a couple of cylinders down for that initial fire up ?

Any thoughts please? After this she starts fine for the rest of the day. Leak off pipes also replaced and no air leaks can be found. cam covers are leaking oil which is the next job.

0 1 0

2. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I would say air is still getting in the system. Check the ali and copper washers on the leak off pipes and banjo bolts round the pump. look for perishing of main fuel hoses. Another common culprit is the thermo valve on top of the fuel filter, and sometimes the filter itself.
    Air leaks are sometimes a nightmare to find, as they don't always leak fuel when the car is not running.
    Smothering all connections in grease or vaseline can be useful for finding the leaks, but is really messy!

0 1 0

3. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Has a new hengst fuel filter and thermo valve.All pipes check out with some slight cracking on the fuel pipes to the fiter, but they dont look that bad. No fuel leaks around the leak off pipes

0 1 0

4. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi All,
    Ive had my allroad 2.5tdi parked up for a couple of months, went to start it, coughed once didnt catch battery soon went flat (wasn't great in first place).

Recharged battery & left fast starter plugged in but still wont start. No lights on dash etc suggesting immobiliser problem, can also see fuel in clear hose to front of engine but no sign of starting.

Ive got a IOBD2 mini but not suggesting any faults (presumably because its not starting) Am thinking about buying the £225 VCDS rosstec (will always have vw/audis so might be good investment) - will this give me some codes?

Ross-Tech VCDS (VAG-COM) Packages :: Gendan Automotive Products

Any ideas gratefully received???

Cheers Mark

0 1 0

5. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine does the stutter on start up too although mine been a pd awx,turning the main headlight switch to the first setting seems to take it away,not sure what this suggests but you could chance it see if it helps

0 1 0

6. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I would check if the cambelt ( if fitted ) is ok , then I would tow it to start it

if it then runs ok I would check

1) check battery at a garage for a dud cell(s) and buy new battery
    2) speed of starter
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 1 0

7. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for replies, Ive now noticed theres a bubble in the clear pipe to the back of the engine - not sure how its got there - maybe a small leak somewhere and with me not driving it? or maybe trying to start with flat battery?

anyway, I will try towing at some point but any suggestions for getting the air out first? - thought this engine self primes? or maybe the pump isnt getting enough juice?

cheers Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 03Allroad View Post
    Hi All,
    Ive had my allroad 2.5tdi parked up for a couple of months, went to start it, coughed once didnt catch battery soon went flat (wasn't great in first place).

Recharged battery & left fast starter plugged in but still wont start. No lights on dash etc suggesting immobiliser problem, can also see fuel in clear hose to front of engine but no sign of starting.

Ive got a IOBD2 mini but not suggesting any faults (presumably because its not starting) Am thinking about buying the £225 VCDS rosstec (will always have vw/audis so might be good investment) - will this give me some codes?

Ross-Tech VCDS (VAG-COM) Packages :: Gendan Automotive Products

Any ideas gratefully received???

Cheers Mark

0 1 0

8. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    it will self prime to a point

Do yourself a favour and change the fuel filter. Replace the " O " rings on the connections that go into the filter. Fill up the filter with clean diesel to aid bleeding.

Then tow it

Hopefully the clear pipe going to back to engine is the return pipe, this may have drained off into the tank and allowed air to get in the pipe ...................... hopefully

Some cars need to turn over at around 220 rpm before the ecu tells the car to put diesel in the engine & some can be 250rpm or faster, so I would charge the battery up and still tow it until it started

Then you can work out, is it turning over fast enough, glow plugs away, is it bled , does it run ......................... etc etc
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 1 0

9. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    cheers Niall, ill fit a fuel filter like you say.

I did wonder if turning over slowly would stop fuel running. Previous (and only owner) said glow plugs were about 18months old, just hope its not fuel pump....?!

Quote Originally Posted by niall campbell View Post
    it will self prime to a point

Do yourself a favour and change the fuel filter. Replace the " O " rings on the connections that go into the filter. Fill up the filter with clean diesel to aid bleeding.

Then tow it

Hopefully the clear pipe going to back to engine is the return pipe, this may have drained off into the tank and allowed air to get in the pipe ...................... hopefully

Some cars need to turn over at around 220 rpm before the ecu tells the car to put diesel in the engine & some can be 250rpm or faster, so I would charge the battery up and still tow it until it started

Then you can work out, is it turning over fast enough, glow plugs away, is it bled , does it run ......................... etc etc

0 1 0

10. Re: 2005 2.5tdi allroad starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hey Niall & others that helped Ive got my allroad going again...

First thing I did was bite the bullet and get a new battery - got a decent bosch with 5yr warranty for just over £100 from battery supplies on the web,

Anyway it seems Niall you were right the car just wasn't turning over fast enough to get the fuel flowing. Even with the booster still plugged in the mains the old battery was obviously stopping the car getting sufficient current.

It took a long while cranking but with a bit of throttle she fired up!

Now on with the next jobs - any tips out there for:

- replacing air con compressor (I have one just dont know if I can fit it or whether it needs to go to garage - do I need to take off bumper?)
    - low biting point on clutch - do I try and bleed or replace slave cylinder?
    - bottom link suspension arm knocking - how tricky is that once bolts undone?

Cherss Guys - lesson learnt that batteries are about more than just voltage!

0 1 0