1. Exclamation Brake/Clutch/ Pedals issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Alhambra has a worrying issue with the Brake/Clutch pedals. Both clutch and brake pedal operation appears to be normal except occasionally when coming to a stop with clutch pedal already depressed. The brake travel then seems to be physically limited, reducing brake effectiveness. If I release both pedals then apply brake again, it feels normal with full braking. 2005 Alhambra SX PD130 (ASZ), non ABS brakes, 123,000 miles. Anyone come across this before?

Bob
    63 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Sport

Gone: 10MY Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto, Stornaway Grey. 55 SEAT Alhambra SX 130TDi (Grandad's taxi/shed) Freelander 2 TD4 SE manual, Rimini Red. 07 Passat Est SE 2.0 TDI 140 DSG Blue Graphite

0 0 0

2. Re: Brake/Clutch/ Pedals issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Haven't come across it before but it sound like something is loose, bent or jamming up in the pedal box, reckon you'll have to be a contortionist and get under there for a look. I didn't think youd get a non Abs Alhambra that late in 2005?

0 1 0

3. Re: Brake/Clutch/ Pedals issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your quick reply Rob. Yes, I am suspecting a pedal box problem. I did not know if others may have suffered wear on the pedal pivots which may somehow cause the problem. I see the pedal assy can be removed as one (but I guess a lot of dismantling to do it - surprise surprise). Re the ABS, I have only just got the car, serviced it and have checked over the brakes & bled new fluid throughout without problem. If it's there, where is the ABS module? - on other cars it is often near the master cylinder?

Bob

Gone: 10MY Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto, Stornaway Grey. 55 SEAT Alhambra SX 130TDi (Grandad's taxi/shed) Freelander 2 TD4 SE manual, Rimini Red. 07 Passat Est SE 2.0 TDI 140 DSG Blue Graphite

0 0 0

4. Re: Brake/Clutch/ Pedals issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Hi Bob, not that familiar with the alhambra but the abs module is probably down by the ns inner wing up against the bulkhead, behind the battery, pretty sure abs was compulsory by that year of manufacture. Does the abs symbol not come on with ignition. Sorry cant give more help, I've never had to take a pedal box assy out, but thats where I'd be looking.

0 0 0

5. Re: Brake/Clutch/ Pedals issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great - yes, behind the battery, under the surfboard (supposed to deflect the rainwater, but directs it on to the ECU electrics instead! . Previous owner wrapped it in a plastic bag! You are right, of course, ABS symbol on dash, all ok. Re the pedal box, there is a Galaxy one on eBay with some great photos for info.

Bob

0 0 0

6. Re: Brake/Clutch/ Pedals issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    FIXED IT!
    The problem became worse, such that it clearly became a lack of servo assistance on the brakes. Initially occasionally, then permanent. There was no link to the clutch, it just happened that the clutch was depressed when brake pedal used. I knew now it was most likely one of three things: Servo, Vacuum Pump or Link pipe. I figured the cheapest/easiest to get to was the link pipe. As with most things on this motor, a bit of a pig to access!
    Remove wipers, Scuttle trim at base of windscreen, Surf board tray. Then air hose at inlet to throttle body to access vac pump end (beside fuel filter). Also Air filter cover and inlet hose to access servo end. Then Heat shield plate behind throttle body which covers all the pipes on the bulkhead. 22mm spanner for vac pump connection, pipe clips and push fit fitting at servo. Removal of the pipe revealed splits in the PVC hose fittings, causing loss of vacuum. Replacement with a “new to me” pipe from an 08 model sourced through the ‘bay and a full reassembly fixed it!

Bob

0 0 0