Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after?

1. Question VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    my golf is Mk6 2010 1.6TDI bluemotion

I receive a letter for VW service action, EA 189 NOx emissions.
    I search online using key word 'EA 189 NOx emissions'. I found many cases show 'lose power at 1500-2000rpm, lose torque'
    e.g. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/vo...emissions-fix/

If updated, the ECU can not be degradedagain to original status. Should I go to dealership to update? I just worry about emission will pollute the enviorment. But I also do not hope that dealership give my engine bad effect.
    Does everybody really to update?

0 0 0

2. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Do not detune your engine , to reduce NOx lower combustion temperatures has to take place so they introduce inert gasses that don't burn ( exhaust gasses ) to displace the cool filtered air the engine normally breathes .

So many wrongs making an engine breathe it's own poo , anyway less oxygenated combustion and loss of exhaust gasses for spooling the turbo means a loss in driveability and torque .

The government carries on like petrol vehicles don't emit any NOx , they do .

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...Ta_rOQhjKr_5Yg

Up in smoke: the VW emissions ‘fix’ has left our car undriveable | Money | The Guardian

0 0 0

3. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I had it done on my old B8 2.0 A4, I drove it for ~10k miles before trading it in and noticed zero change in the way the car behaved in terms of speed, mpg, noise or dpf regens etc.

You don't need to have it done, its voluntary.

0 0 0

4. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    In November we had a very long time regular come in with his Golf 6 2L TDI and its MIL on. The code was the usual EGR. We fitted a new aftermarket HAAS unit from Euro Car Parts. Within a week it was back with a new EGR code and this continued to happen off and on up until last week when it came on again but this time it was a manifold flap problem as well. Whilst in for that yesterday we fitted a new EGR valve and ECP upgraded him to the better Wahle unit. This failed before the car even got off the lift and the car is now nearly un-driveable, genuine EGR valves are impossible to get because the recall is killing them and there are thousands of people waiting for them . When the customer came in to take away his crippled car I mentioned the recall to him and told him not to have it done. He said, "ohh that was done last year a week before the EGR valve failed"........

VOLKSWAGEN, WHY DID YOU LET DU MEJIA VERMIN BULLY YOU INTO THIS STUPID RECALL??????
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Our 2009 Golf 1.6 105hp with 63000 miles was given the emissions treatment on 16th January. Since then it has been driven about 2200 miles over varied country roads and dual carriageways. My last tank fill calculations came out (53.4mpg) almost exactly the same as this time last year (53.5 mpg). I reckon the car actually has marginally more torque around 2000rpm but it drives otherwise as before. Without doubt, tick over is smoother - the hunting which used to randomly occur has never happened since. I reckon I can hear a slight diesely rattle but only on starting in first when the load is applied (eg in traffic jams); underway there is no change – not even my wife can hear anything different!
    2009 1.6 TDi 105 5 door Tornado Red

1 0 0

6. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    And that is the situation in most cases, only a small percentage have had issues other than relating to the EGR valve but it is still a lot of cars in actual numbers.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Maybe some dealers simply sign the paperwork and have have tea and toast for an hour while they 'carry out the fix'. Less hassle that way.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

1 2 0

8. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 1.6 2010 requires the full fix not just the software, my independent VW garage have advised not to have it done as it kills the EGR. They say they have had multiple cases where they very recently replaced the EGR on the same car to the newer upgraded type and then straight after the emissions fix the new EGR failed. They said it's almost impossible to get a new EGR as there is a shortage and such a high demand!! I'm not going anywhere near the main dealer to get this fix done. My car is 7 years old now but has only done 29K from new.
    Golf mk6 (2010) 1.6S TDI (105) 5 Door Shadow Blue
    Alloys, Sunroof, Fogs, 310 Radio+MDI, Highline, Mats, Service Plan, GAP+Smart Repair.

0 0 0

9. Re: VW NOx EA189 emission letter received, Does everybody really to update? Any effect after? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The EGR valve on the 1.6 is a piece of junk to start with and aftermarket copies from Euro Car Parts are utterly hopeless, we fitted a warranty replacement (4 months old) last week that failed before we even got the car off of the lift! It is not the recall per se that is killing the EGR valves, it is that the unit is a bad deign that can’t cope in the first place. Yes it is almost impossible to get a genuine EGR unit for the 1.6 or the 2L, we need one for the car from last week and our local TPS pulled some strings and found us one but that one particular TPS has 26 on back order of the 2L design alone, the so called DQ revision.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0