1. Re: A6-C5 Cooling Fans Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi rich81, Thanks for your reply. On the bottom hose from the radiator, there is a switch / sensor, and I think that is the one which causes the fan to cut in when ever the temp water goes up, for any reason. Because even with the air con switched off ( control set to 24c) the fan is still running, so this may well be the culprit,,, a faulty switch. I will get underneath the car ( best way to access this switch, assuming that it's the right switch !!!! ) and disconnect it and see if that stops the fan, if it does, then new switch should solve the problem.
    Thanks again, All the Best, Jim.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6-C5 Cooling Fans Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi folks. On my Allroad, the elctric fan is two speed - it is on (usually at low) ALL the time - switches to high when air temp/aircon/water temp requires. Mines did burn out once - only noticed it when in hot conditions, idling, the viscous fan could not cool temp. If you want, as I do in the winter, disconnect the fan at the connector below the power steering reservoir cover - reconnect in the spring! You dont save much on fuel but you do save on skint knuckles replacing a burnt out fan!

0 1 0

3. Re: A6-C5 Cooling Fans Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Ceilidhalfie,
    The fan on mine is single speed... only two wires from the connector you mention under the reservoir. The two speed fan will have more wires, I think. I am still convinced that the switch on the radiator bottom water jacket is the culprit.. waiting for a dry day to go underneath and check. The forecast looks good for the weekend.........
    I have got changing the fan down to a fine art by now.......about 20 mins, old out and new in. I now re-route the cables from that fan up and over the other fan cowling, just drilled a few new holes in the cowl, and locked the cable in with cable ties. No problem, and no skinned knuckles either. If this switch is not the culprit, I will disconnect it under the reservoir for the winter, as you suggest.
    Thanks, Jim

0 0 0

4. Re: A6-C5 Cooling Fans Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi again, I was searching through some very old posts re cooling fans here on the forum ( not all A6-C5 either) and I came across this bit of info on one of the posts. If the electric fan is running continuously, instead of disconnecting it at the connection under the reservoir, all you need to do is switch the heater controls to "ECON" mode.......fan stops immediately, and will not start until the ECON is switched off. None the less, I still think that the switch and sensor fitted to the bottom water hose is the culprit, as in the pic.Audi A6 Lower Water hose switch reduced pic IMAG5901.jpg
    On a slightly different note... Recently, while just driving along... all the electrics on the dash stop working, fuel gauge , water temp, oil pressure, volt meter ( but not the rev counter or speedometer ) I stop switch off the engine, give it a minute, then restart... everything back to normal. It happened twice today. Any ideas anyone? Just guessing, I think that it may be the dash itself... since a long time it has been showing overheating, when the engine was cold ( I have documented this in previous posts.
    Thanks for your help / advice/ comments,
    Jim

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12