Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Coolant running fast out of cylinder block.

1. [SOLVED] Coolant running fast out of cylinder block. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have a lot of water/coolant pouring out of cylinder block right behind the timing case. Originally thought it was coming out the bottom. I have filmed it and it's definitely coming straight out no doubt about it from behind the timing case.

I cannot see any any joint or gasket though so what exactly has broken and how do I get to it.

I used Radweld not too long ago for another little leak elsewhere and that worked. So when this happened the first thing I did was buy Kseal but it doesn't seem to have touched it. £11 literally down the drain!

I pour the water into coolant now and within seconds it's coming out of this whole.

Any help?
    Golf MK3 1995 ABD engine
    Last edited by Nuggit; 08-05-2017 at 04:22 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant running fast out of cylinder block. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuggit View Post
    I have a lot of water/coolant pouring out of cylinder block right behind the timing case. Originally thought it was coming out the bottom. I have filmed it and it's definitely coming straight out no doubt about it from behind the timing case.

I cannot see any any joint or gasket though so what exactly has broken and how do I get to it.

I used Radweld not too long ago for another little leak elsewhere and that worked. So when this happened the first thing I did was buy Kseal but it doesn't seem to have touched it. £11 literally down the drain!

I pour the water into coolant now and within seconds it's coming out of this whole.

Any help?
    Golf MK3 1995 ABD engine
    Vid 1
    Water leak pt1. - YouTube

Slightly better Vid 2
    Water Leak pt2. - YouTube

Please help!

0 0 0

3. Re: Coolant running fast out of cylinder block. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    sorry - tea time at work and no access to you tube! is it not the water pump to engine block connection?

0 0 0

4. Re: Coolant running fast out of cylinder block. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    All fixed. Basically there is a closed off would-be hole behind the timing case, it's gained a little hole that was pouring out any water/coolant from it which you can see on YouTube.

I could not remove the cam sprocket so had to drill a 20mm hole through the plastic case to find the leak. Then I used some Granville sealant stuff oil and water resistant up to 250 degree. So should be fine.

I made the process a lot longer and stressful by turning the cam after removing the belt. .. but this enabled me to learn the TDC process and all is now well.

Loooooong learning curve. I have pictures of it all - anyone know the best place to share my little guide?

Cheers, Lee.

EDIT: it was a leaky Core Plug.
    Last edited by Nuggit; 08-05-2017 at 04:19 PM.

0 0 0