Notices

User Tag List

Thread: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unhappy BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    2007 Passat TDI2.0 140P 146k mileage now, bought from 55k mileage with full vw service history.
    No record shows glow plugs replaced in the past.

VCDS diagnosis shows:
    17056/P0672/001650 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit (Q11): Electrical Fault

Possible Symptoms
    No Pre-Glow Period
    Poor Cold Starting

Possible Causes
    Glow Plug Wiring faulty
    Glow Plug faulty

Possible Solutions
    Check Glow Plug Wiring
    Check Glow Plug

The technician recommand to replace all four plugs once.
    Does glow plugs only have 140k mileage life?

Vw Passat 2.0 Litre Tdi 2006 Glow Plug Location. - YouTube (Vw Passat 2.0 Litre Tdi 2006 Glow Plug Location.) shows no way to DIY, because it needs to open valve cover.....very difficult.

the other vw engine with good design, they can DIY to replace glow plugs.
    VW Jetta MK6 TDI Glowplug Replacement - YouTube (VW Jetta MK6 TDI Glowplug Replacement)
    How to replace a glow plug on a diesel TDI - YouTube (How to replace a glow plug on a diesel TDI)
    Glow Plug tips and tricks - YouTube (be careful when u DIY, torque attention)

0 0 0

2. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    not quite sure where you are going with this ? are you saying glow plugs should last longer than 10 years or 146k miles ??m or are you saying its a bad design because you have to remove the cam cover to get to them, adding a few minutes to the job ?
    incidentally, if you want to learn about being a mechanic, youtube is not the best place for it, too many idiots who know jack about everything, lead you up the wrong path. best to get an apprenticeship and go to college or pay for night classes.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    not quite sure where you are going with this ? are you saying glow plugs should last longer than 10 years or 146k miles ??m or are you saying its a bad design because you have to remove the cam cover to get to them, adding a few minutes to the job ?
    incidentally, if you want to learn about being a mechanic, youtube is not the best place for it, too many idiots who know jack about everything, lead you up the wrong path. best to get an apprenticeship and go to college or pay for night classes.
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry for any confuse. English is not my mother language.

I just would like to post what my find.
    In fact, I try to replace BKP engine grow plugs DIY, but it looks like very difficult in my garage.

Compare with other type vw engine, it should be easier to replace. Because in that case, people do not need to remove valve cover and cam cover.

I would like to know rough average life of grow plug. In order to decide, should I replace all four plugs in once repair. Thanks.

0 0 0

4. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Average life of glow plugs is hard to say as it depends on the type of use the engine has had (multiple cold starts or one long drive a few times a week) 10 years and 146k miles is a fair life for a set of plugs though, and yes - change all 4 at once.

1 0 0

5. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    Average life of glow plugs is hard to say as it depends on the type of use the engine has had (multiple cold starts or one long drive a few times a week) 10 years and 146k miles is a fair life for a set of plugs though, and yes - change all 4 at once.
    Thank you for your reply. I will chang all four glow plugs.
    My car daily run on motorway and annual 30k miles, less cold start everyday. So i think the life of my glow plugs are pretty good as it served over 140k mileage.

0 1 0

6. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Just changing mine at almost 100k (no fault codes). Will keep old ones as spares if tips are not corroded on them.

20 minute job but make sure you either replace the cover gasket or if using the old one you torque it down in the right sequence. Too tight and the seal will be crushed flat and may leak. Take care with the wiring and glow plug electrical connectors they may be fragile / brittle after so many miles.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

7. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    Just changing mine at almost 100k (no fault codes). Will keep old ones as spares if tips are not corroded on them.

20 minute job but make sure you either replace the cover gasket or if using the old one you torque it down in the right sequence. Too tight and the seal will be crushed flat and may leak. Take care with the wiring and glow plug electrical connectors they may be fragile / brittle after so many miles.
    thank you for your reply.
    I have to go to dealership to replace plugs. Does SOP( standard operation procedure) of vw include cover gasket replacement during working on glow plugs.? thanks.

0 0 0

8. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Han95, glow plugs are a service item. Also, with four valves and an injector vying for space in there, just where do you think VW could put the glow plug? Anyway, those glow plugs a POP to replace, they take an hour maximum AND the benefit of them being in oil is they never snap and ruin your day/life.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Han95, glow plugs are a service item. Also, with four valves and an injector vying for space in there, just where do you think VW could put the glow plug? Anyway, those glow plugs a POP to replace, they take an hour maximum AND the benefit of them being in oil is they never snap and ruin your day/life.
    Many thanks for your reply.
    If you can compare with the other vw engine e.g. CAY engine (golf mk6) OR previous vw How to replace a glow plug on a diesel TDI - YouTube the socket of glow plugs locate at the outside the engine. They do not need to remove the cam cover(valve cover). That means the most people can DIY to replace glow plugs.
    I will spend more time to write down, how tricky my experience in vw dealership during glow plugs replacement. They charge me £500 finally. :-(

BTW I like your signature line which is Avro Vulcan, legend of Falklands War, Operation Black Buck.,....

0 0 0

10. Re: BAD design on BKP engine for glow plug replacement, no way DIY, have to go dealership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The CR engine injectors are tiny in comparison to a PD injector which is mechanically operated, it is not just the combustion chamber space but the whole head space. I have had CR glow plugs snap and strip their threads, never had any problem with 16v PD glow plugs.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast