1. A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hello, 11/2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 tdi. This morning wife was about to start a long journey, car fully loaded, car would not start. I think that she may have turned the steering wheel last night accidentally without a key in and it locked. This morning, with either of the two keys, the lock accepted the keys and the key turned but not as far as the start position all lights and MMI turned on, the steering was locked and refused to move. I disconnected the battery and reconnected after a couple of minutes but the steering was still locked and the engine will not start. I would appreciate advice as to how I may overcome this problem, Thanks, Michael

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Are your wheels straight? If not the force of wheels trying to move might get steering wheel heavy. If that's the case try to lighten the steering wheel by turning it while moving the key.

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    No the steering wheel is locked solid and the key will turn but not as far as the start position, I have tried gentle jiggling the steering wheel in conjunction with turning the key but nothing.

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    If theres force coming from the wheels you might need to use sone force to slacken the steering wheel from lock.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    As above, if you've turned the steering after switch off then the tires will hold the steering column hard against the lock mechanism and prevent the key from easily
    running.
    Try successively either direction of pulling the steering wheel as hard as you can and hold it there while you operate the ignition. It sounds as if nothing is wrong
    just that you've contrived to get a load on the steering lock mechanical parts that you need to relieve to clear it.

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pull out the panel under the steering wheel and check the wires around the joints (steering knuckles)

The wires there rub against the colum the one for the start switch in the gear box had rubbed through and shorted out on mine. Audi quoted 2500 to fix the rack I did it with a tie wrap and some liquid rubber.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    If the steering wheel was turned without the key in it was only done lightly while my wife was adjusting the sitting position, the front wheels are straight, I know there can be issues when the steering is at full lock. I have tried wiggling the key and wheel trying to release any load but with no luck. I tried lifting a front wheel and wiggling it, steering still locked. I suspect that it may be an immobiliser problem.

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Just to correct a couple of errors. When I turn the ignition key it does in fact turn all the way to the start position. My car is manual and to start you have to have the clutch pedal depressed but with the pedal depressed and the ignition lock in the start position the engine does not turn on. The distance and date displays turn on when I open the door and the MMI display turns on when I turn on the ignition key but the warning lights around the speedo and rev counter do not turn on.

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Scan the car you should get a steering column lock actuator fault, if you reset it the car will start again.

You'll need press brake hazard and high beam and then you can get access to the vehicle diagnostics without ignition.

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 Allroad Steering locked and non starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    not just a flat battery is it ?
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0