1. Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I've just retrofitted the genuine Audi swivelling towbar, control module and release lever to my 2017 A6 Avant Black Edition BiTDi. I didn't spec a towbar when I bought it as I maxed out on other options and thought I wouldn't need one as I've got another car I use for towing a trailer I use, and thought I could also keep using that car when I go out with the bike rack etc. I then managed to pick up a used towbar which was like brand new pretty cheaply, so decided to have a go at retrofitting it so I could use the A6 for my bike rack.

I've done this for just shy of £570 using all Audi parts with the exception of the wiring, which I got from Wibutec, who make the loom and use all genuine VAG connectors.

The towbar and control using were used but never actually used (tow ball unmarked) but everything else was new. I'd hoped the towing preparation would involve more than just the fuse positions being in situ and a hole in the bottom of the bumper, but unfortunately it doesn't so it meant I needed the wiring loom and control unit to fit it.

The costs/part numbers:

Towbar - 4G0800491S - £240
    Control module - 4G8907383B - £112
    Bolts (x4) N91173001, release lever 4G5813685A, grip 4G0813961, lever bolts (x3) N10684701 - £54
    Wiring loom (Wibutec) - £161

I should mention at this point I've not done the VCDS coding as it hasn't arrived yet, and I've not included the cost of VCDS in the above costs as I'll use that for other bits too (like change the ACC default distance and a few other bits and bobs).

On the whole, it was relatively straight forward. I tool some pictures during the install.

I have the Advanced Parking pack and the Technology Pack Advanced (adaptive cruise, Blind spot assist &a lane assist) so there is a lot going on behind the rear bumper.

The hardest part was removing the interior trim in the boot. I eventually got it all taken apart and all the various components fitted.

Whilst I was doing the towbar wiring, I also put the Kufatec Soundbooster pro sound profile selection button in the same rear pocket as the towbar release lever. I don't really use the button as it works off the cruise stalk, but I thought as it's there I'll put it somewhere more convenient in case I ever want to use it. I didn't want to drill a hole in the interior trim, so used this existing hole in the frame to locate it just above the Bose amp.

I'll update this again once I've done the VCDS coding and hopefully at that point it will all be working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 0 0

2. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi there,
    i have just done my biturbo as well, using the same parts as you, except as its a pre facelift the module is suffixed C not B.
    i am having trouble coding the trailer module, VCDS is not helping as there is no long coding hhelper for the module.
    i have programmed all the other units, and everything is ok ACC etc.
    However, I notice that your indicator lamp is working, and mine is not. I thought it may be because my module was not programmed, but as yours isn't , maybe not. Same Wibutec loom etc.
    If you could post a scan from your car with VCDS when you get it, that dwould be helpful.
    All there coding was given to me by NEtech in Danemark, and I owe him thanks for that.
    if you need it I can post for you.
    Andy

0 0 0

3. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I've pretty much given up with mine now. Audi have identified that there is no power going to the module. The wiring is as much as I could do with the instructions given my fuseboards were different to that in the instructions.

All my coding has now been done with the SVM code by Audi so once the power issue is sorted, theoretically it should work.

I'll have another go at the wiring when I've got some spare time to see if I can work out why it's not getting power. If that doesn't work, I'll take the bloody thing off and get a roof rack.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Oh, and since it's been into Audi the status lights have stopped working but strangely the SVM coding was done on my driveway and they worked, Audi fiddle around and now nothing works

0 0 0

5. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear of your problems. The red plug that comes with " tow bar preparationn" does not seem to have the power connected to the d
    fuse box. I never found the other ends of the cables, I assume they are taped in the loom somewhere. I used the Wibutec power wires and plug' just connected the can and link to central conv module into the wires Audi provided in the red plug.

Everything is communicating ok, just no warning lamp and no power to trailer llights.
    I will battle on a little longer, someone must have the coding for the module.

if the worst comes to it I will have to go SVM route.

0 0 0

6. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well if I get mine working, I will post all the coding on here for you to try.

0 0 0

7. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    The thing is the VCDS coding I did wouldn't work, and neither sis the SVM code. It does make me think given your situation that the wibutec wiring could be the problem. Did you find that your fuse board wasn't as described in the instructions? I think I have 5 fuse holders and the instructions only mentioned 4.

0 0 0

8. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRed View Post
    The thing is the VCDS coding I did wouldn't work, and neither sis the SVM code. It does make me think given your situation that the wibutec wiring could be the problem. Did you find that your fuse board wasn't as described in the instructions? I think I have 5 fuse holders and the instructions only mentioned 4.

Well I took the fuse positions from Elsa win.
    There is a block, green in my car that had several spare slots which I put three power wires in from wibutec loom I think SF1 to 3
    That bank have permanent power, I think they call it terminal 30.
    The other block was beige in my car. Terminal 15 ( powered when ignition on)
    One wire went in there.
    The wibutec instructions may be ok if your German, but once Google translate has done it's magic, they are basic to say the least.
    I can send photo if it would help you.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I can remember what I did... all I know is the fuse board looked different. I can't check as my car was taken away today after being clipped on a roundabout so I've got a 530d on the drive instead.

I've just looked through some photos I took and I seem to have 4 fuse boards (including the beige one). Does yours look anything like mine (note some photos show a fuse bank removed)

0 0 0

10. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRed View Post
    I can remember what I did... all I know is the fuse board looked different. I can't check as my car was taken away today after being clipped on a roundabout so I've got a 530d on the drive instead.

I've just looked through some photos I took and I seem to have 4 fuse boards (including the beige one). Does yours look anything like mine (note some photos show a fuse bank removed)

This was mine, the green bank is removed but it's the first bank. It does appears that it's different, but as long as you have the permanent and ignition controlled power you should be ok.
    At least you had a green light on at one point, which is more than I have!.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast