1. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi, about to embark on this quest myself and I just saw a development to this thread buried in another in these forums. I replied to it there hoping for inspiration. Not sure how to navigate forums very well but if you should be able to find my post "over there" Id appreciate any answers you can offer. Save me trying to find it and cut/ paste here. If you don't see it I'll try a cut/paste tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

0 0 0

2. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi I am interested if you used a genuine Audi Towbar control module with the Wibutec wiring loom, or if you used the Control module that Wibutec supply?

0 0 0

3. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi, as mentioned my installation is documented better on the rosstech forum, but essentially I used an Oem swivelling bar off eBay, a wibutec harness, and I bought a westfalia kit from Pf Jones as it was the cheapest way to get the interface plus I was able to use part of their harness which meant I could plug the canbus wires into the can connector without having to splice any wires at all thus negating any warranty concerns. The problem came with coding. Though I have the full official version of vcds I was unable to program the abs module as I could not get high enough security access. After a failed attempt by an approved westfalia agent too, I finally gave up and paid Audi £100 to do it which worked out well as now my release bracket leds also work, something most vcds coders fail to achieve for some reason. Full history in that other forum thread.
    hope this helps.
    Dave

0 0 0

4. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all, I'm sorry for not finishing my experience on here, I did on another forum.
    My problems all stemmed from not examining the wiring enough to the actual towbar.
    The bar was meant to be A6, but in fact turned out to be A7, physically the same, but in vw's remedy for the no fridge power which plagued the A6, they resolved it in the a7 offering by changing the centre connections and linking some earth's
    Of course all the colours match round the outside which are easy to see, and the plugs are identical.
    As soon as I had realised that and corrected the wiring everything works perfectly, including the led.
    So I would say, buy original Audi tow module from wibutec along with wiring and release pull and a tow bar from eBay ( genuine).
    I don't know if all the warnings etc work with the unit from pf Jones, but they do with the original, as one would expect of course.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Well... mine was a genuine A6 bar and it was fully populated for fridge supply etc. I made no wiring changes between my coding effort and Audi’s coding effort. Theirs worked, mine didn’t despite the fact that comparing full vcds scans from both appear identical. It’s an odd one, but once it’s all working properly, it’s a great system and lots cheaper than dealer fit.

0 0 0

6. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Dave,
    Is yours a facelift? The wiring diagram in elsawin does not show any fridge power for the pre facelift, and many complaints about it on the forums, obviously they sorted it for the a7 and probably the facelift.
    Mine was a genuine Audi bar, and the control module was genuine Audi, but supplied by Wibutec in Germany cheaper than Audi in the UK.
    I didn't have any coding issues, although I was surprised how much needed coding, all listed in a thread on ross-tech forums luckily.
    Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yes mine is facelift so maybe therein lies the wiring issue resolution you mentioned though I never experienced that. The Westfalia interface is in fact the very same Hella component as the OEM one, they just machine the number off so you cannot tell but open it up and it's Hella through and through with the same firmware loaded as all the scans of EOM fitments I've seen.

Its crazy how there are so many different variants and ways of achieving the same thing.

It was the ross tech coding guide I used but I could not code the abs. It was to do with them updating the rosstech version which stopped the secure access from working and they asked me to wait whilst they wrote the new code. I needed the car to tow with so couldn't wait. I don't see why the ABS coding would have affected the operation of the release bracket LED but hey nothing surprises me any more from VAG. They do some odd things.

Cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi

I am in the process of installing the Wibutec wiring loom and I am having difficulty finding the T32i and T32g connectors to install the 3 CAN wires. The wires supplied are just 3 bare ends, so I am not sure if the have to be spliced or need terminals putting on the ends before being added to the T32i connector as a black 32 pin connector and I need to connect the CAN high to pin 19, the CAN low to pin 20. The 3rd wire is to be connected to plug T32g pin 2.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 0 0

9. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I queried Wibutec on this and they once shipped with terminals but decided to change to fly leads that needed to be spliced “because it gave a more secure canbus connection”. I thought this was a bit of BS. At the end of the day all other connections on the cars bus are plug in so why would this need to be different. As it happened I bought the westfalia kit purely because it was the cheapest way to get an interface and that kit came with a lead with the correct canbus connectors so I stripped them from the westfalia loom and added them to the wibutec loom. I then made the connections per the westfalia instructions and it worked our well. Do you have your interface already? That might be a way to go about it for you too.

cheers

0 0 0

10. Re: Another MY17 A6 Genuine Towbar retro fit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I’ve fitted a westfalia towbar from pfjones to my allroad biturbo but need help with the coding. Anyone in Teesside able to help me? Many thanks

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast