1. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Need to ask the dealer .... and then de-cypher there statement into what's best for your particular situation... e.g; get it done early to minimise any risk... plus do a belts and braces approach (belt, tensioner, pump) ... or... live with risk if you are going to move Car on in the short/medium term...

For me it all hinges on whether your are keeping the car long term...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A6 Black Edition - 2014 - 2.0 TDI Manual
    Daytona Grey Pearl, Full LED Headlights, Technology Pack, Advanced Key
    4 Zone Climate Control & Heated Seats, Colour DIS, Lighting Pack - LED Ambient Lighting.

0 0 0

2. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Zollaf's bang on ! it needs changing before it or some other vital related component fails .
    Everyone focuses on the belt and see's it as the failure point but there is a lot of other component failures such as seized water pump, worn tensioner, idlers, etc that can lead to the belt stripping or snapping. When and if one of these components fails depends on many variables, quality and tolerance of components at manufacture ( hopefully good, as it is still OEM in your case) installation, duty cycle of the engine ( multiple short journeys or fewer longer motorway journeys) environment, hot dusty or cold wet etc etc.
    I'm sure the engine designer specifies a conservative distance and time, then the marketing and sales folks step in, stretch it as far as they can, watch fleet sales etc. then monitor the failure rates to see what is acceptable, this will be a movable feast depending on who's calling the shots, hence all the confusion, changes in recommendations from model and years and discussion around this subject.
    On my old PD engine the interval is 40k or 4 years, That's a big chunky belt that has a hard life driving the injectors. The car I've currently got had done 70 k on its last belt and the belt looked ok, although water pump bearings had a bit much play, so would it have lasted another 10k ? maybe, but i didn't gamble at taking it twice past the recommended distance
    Since this is on your mind, you won't sleep sound until it's been changed so just get it done!!!!

[ QUOTE=Tripletrouble;1058006]Interesting that there's lot's of speculation but no-one seems to be able to provide absolutely 100% certain when it needs to be done![/QUOTE]

0 2 0

3. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    So, in light of no one knowing LOL I've decided that I'm going to change the belt and pump and whilst it at it new front pads, rear discs and pads and front suspension bushes and keep the car another year.
    I'm quite surprised about the pads and discs as in just over 100k with my last car (Mondeo 2.2Tdi Titanium X Sport) I never changed pads or discs nor did I have suspension bushes wearing either. Ah well, off to E-Bay I go....

0 0 0

4. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Exactly!! 100k on one set of pads pretty good going, careful what you buy on fleabay though, lots of rubbish and fakes out there.

0 0 0

5. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    nah mate, everything brakes on ebay is legit... you have the choice of fibi, fredo, muntex, bisch, or vagid. if on a budget you could think about apac or truu.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 3 0

6. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Unless it was a know seller ECP, GSF etc I would never get braking parts on ebay. What you need to know about counterfeit Brembo brakes

0 2 0

7. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I have just checked online at myAudi and for my car (2014 2.0 Ultra Avant) under Service/Maintenance/Additional Work the cam belt is listed as requiring renewing at 140,000 miles.

Service Maintenence.jpg

1 1 0

8. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    good luck with that one then ..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

9. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I'm not leaving my belt till 140K miles, I took a 5 year warranty on my car I will get it done before the warranty expires (so 4.8 years @ around 50K miles), that way I get another 2 years on the engine side if the belt fails.

1 1 0

10. Re: Cam belt change interval 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hello B5NUT,

I'm in a similar position re age and warranty but I don't understand your reference to "... another 2 years ...".

How would you get this benefit?

My nearly 5 year old car has 37k on the clock and my dealer says that the cambelt change interval recommended by Audi is 70k or 5 years despite what the service manual says (130k no time limit).

The price quoted for the work is £599 so this inconsistency would in theory, in my case, add up to an additional £1797 of cost before the manual's recommended change date.

Taking into consideration earlier comments, one does wonder whether the dealers have introduced their own individual recommendations that play on their customers natural fear of a catastrophe.

I shall no doubt bite the bullet and play safe despite a feeling that I'm being "played" - but this does introduce a negativity that Audi should resolve one way or another.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast