Notices

User Tag List

Thread: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hahahaha.... well here I am...done the discs with new pads all around...looks lovely. Finally doing the front c links as one side really needed it....trouble is the Lemforder boxes come with 2 nuts, one I assume is a spare. As you know it's a bolt with a nut to for the top of the c link and a bolt into the ARB.

I checked online for torque settings etc (45 Nm + 90 degrees) so it says....pls correct if you know better.... usually these kits come with the required bolts n nuts etc such as the rear pads.... that's the 2 nuts right? But the place I found the torque settings stated that I also need to replace the 2 bolts.....what's up with that??? Wouldn't they have also come in the Lemforder box if needed to renew?

pls guys I'm doing this tomorrow so give me your answers quick sharp....much appreciated.... and pls lord don't let it rain .... and yes I couldn't find the answer elsewhere...I looked.

oh.....any ideas on rubber grease or similar on the c link connections to keep the ingress of corrosion at bay or would that be a bad idea?

0 0 0

2. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Ok.....didn't get any replies so spent another 3hrs checking google.

Not much info out there reg A6 c6's.....A4s seem to reuse the 2 bolts and just use a new nut...as per the Lemforder kit that I have... however some Americans say that these bolts are TTS stretchy bolts so have to be replaced.....can someone who knows pls confirm or deny this.

Also reg torque settings.... I'd read that both top and bottom of the c links should be 45Nm + 1/4 turn.......but now the yanks are saying that the top should be 40Nm + 1/4 turn but the bottom bolt into the ARB should be 100Nm!!!! Seems a bit extreme but again can someone confirm this please!!!

Lastly...final tightening....should the car be lowered onto its wheels for the final torquing up? This I doubt as on its wheels the car shouldn't be in a state of compression...only when one wheel isn't level to the opposite wheel..

ok guys...what do you say?.

0 0 0

3. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Torque settings plus an angle are normally for stretch bolts. If the c link wil be twisted once the car comes off the Jack I would load the wheel before tightening. Sorry can't be of any more help.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 1 0

4. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    No no it's great that you took the time to reply, I appreciate it. You confirmed what I had read regarding the bolts being stretch bolts...then anyone having done this do you or they usually replace the bolts? It begs the question then why don't these bolts come inc with the Lemforder links...just the nuts?

And then Im thinking again about the Audi A4 c link replacements that similarly just come with a nut and reuse the bolts..I'm guessing on the A4 they're also stretch TTS bolts?...are the A6 c6 ones like that.

And of course the confusion of the torque settings??

Looking for an answer from a grease monkey or just some home mechanic who's certain .

0 0 0

5. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    So I've been on the phone today with Lemforder in Germany........they don't suggest to renew any bolts just the nuts. However they provide 2 nuts because they're under the impression that A6's have the type of ARB that uses a bolt and nut on the bottom.....and not a singular bolt that attaches straight into the ARB itself!
    They said that this was an alteration that Lemforder wasn't aware of...... who I ask was it that said Lemforder quality is OEM and yet they didn't even know what type of ARB is used on A6's!

Still no more help answering my questions.....come on guys let's club together eh....unless none one knows the answers ..

0 0 0

6. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I would always fit new bolts, and don't use any grease etc it's not needed. When I replace all the arms & suspension on my C6 every nut & bolt was changed. Only thing I would say is to make sure the car is on it's wheels & suspension fully loaded with the weight of the car before completing the final tightening/torque of the nuts & bolts.

0 1 0

7. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm gonna get hold of ECP in the morning and see if the cheaper Starline or TRW links come with the bolts.....if not then I'll have to source the bolts elsewhere... TPS is a bit far away on public transport..I'll figure it out or maybe just say bugger it and reuse the bolts..this car has been off the road for just toooo long already.

You've surprised me there advising to put the car back on its wheels for the final tightening upto torque..nobodies offered any figures so I'm just gonna go with 40Nm + 1/4 turn...most info I've seen says tighten with the wheels off the ground...on an A6 anyway....on the A4 it's with ARB compressed and wheels on the ground. Are you sure you were referring to the A6?

B5 thanks for taking the time to reply man.....hey I'm gonna be tackling that intake manifold clean soon and will be following some of your detailed reports on the other site I think...just getting to the manifolds looks challenging already!!!

0 0 0

8. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Maybe.....those that were changing the links on an A6 could have been doing it wrong or perhaps their A6 had the type of ARB with the bolt and nut at the bottom (the one Lemforder thought that all A6 C6's have).....whereas my ARB is more like the one on an A4 and the same as you've shown in your picture, with a bolt going into the ARB...maybe it does need to be tightened with wheels on the floor just as the A4...it looks like the same ARB so who knows.........

0 0 0

9. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Imho it's not down to model it's down to laws of physics . Wheels in the air for sale of argument suspension is at 110 degrees wheels on ground 90 degrees, do you want the 30degrees difference absorbed in your new rubbers?
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

10. Re: C links bloody hell......!!!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I don't know....physics was never my strong point I'm afraid otherwise I'd have passed that engineering degree I was going for..... some smart looking yank (he wore glasses!) said that wheels on the ground or off doesn't make a difference, with the ARB there's only compression when one of the wheels is compressed different to the other....

Having said that.....when I had the rear of the car raised recently on axle stands I could clearly see that the rear ARB links where twisted and under tension. I don't know if the rear ARB works in a different way but it's just what I saw.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast