1. Gearbox Overheating - 2012 A6 S-Line 3.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On Wednesday night I was pulling away from traffic lights when I got the error: Gearbox overheating, please adjust driving style. I had only been driving for about 20 minutes and was only in second or third. It wouldn't get out of second gear and wouldn't go above 15-20 mph. I didn't try to force it to change up with the paddles and I quickly parked up.

I came back to it in the morning and drove perfectly happily to the nearest dealer. This morning they called me to say they can't see the fault and recommended a gearbox oil change. I can see that the gearbox oil was done at 44k and it's now at 67k. Should I be doing it again? They want £250 which sounds steep.

Advice appreciated! Many thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Gearbox Overheating - 2012 A6 S-Line 3.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I would get your oil changed, its the first step and £250 sounds about right.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

3. Re: Gearbox Overheating - 2012 A6 S-Line 3.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I'm sure on the Audi website it's a fixed price at £225......

0 0 0

4. Re: Gearbox Overheating - 2012 A6 S-Line 3.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the replies.

I have just had the following message from Audi via their online system:

looked a bit further into this and there is a TPI (2022497/20) for this fault which states requires a new printed circuit for the mechatronics!!! there are other TPI's for faults including a SW update so advise new printed circuit and SW update then re-check

They want £1,020 for the PCB... is this a common problem?

0 0 0

5. Re: Gearbox Overheating - 2012 A6 S-Line 3.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    The gearbox has a fluid cooler which is linked to the coolant system. Mine malfunctioned, and was replaced, could be that, a scan would show it up. They should fail open, so always cooled.
    Current Fleet
    2017 Audi A6 Avant BiTdi
    2008 BMW Z4M Roadster
    2003 Clio 172 Cup

0 0 0