Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT (140 PS) - Any Known Problems?

1. Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT (140 PS) - Any Known Problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a early 2013 VW Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT, I understand the ACT switches the engine into two cylinder mode when it's not in heavy use but I am wondering how this affects the vehicles reliability? Does anyone have any experiences with this engine? Would you recommend it? My alternative would be the 122 TSI SE.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a Stop / Start model (as I understand that is a optional extra), I've always been a bit sceptical about stop / start so would prefer not to have that. Does anyone know if stop / start is a standard feature in the ACT GT?

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT (140 PS) - Any Known Problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 777GE90 View Post
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a early 2013 VW Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT, I understand the ACT switches the engine into two cylinder mode when it's not in heavy use but I am wondering how this affects the vehicles reliability? Does anyone have any experiences with this engine? Would you recommend it? My alternative would be the 122 TSI SE.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a Stop / Start model (as I understand that is a optional extra), I've always been a bit sceptical about stop / start so would prefer not to have that. Does anyone know if stop / start is a standard feature in the ACT GT?
    Hi I have a 2014 tsi GT dsg with 150ps engine ACT as long as the car is regularly serviced there should be no problems the 2013 engine is probably the 140 ps engine which is basically the same as the later 150ps engine and in my opinion having done 39000 trouble free miles I would recommend it. The stop/start can be turned off via a button near the gear shift.
    one thing I would recommend is to test the auto handbrake particularly on the GT petrol model just to ensure it works smoothly with the stop/start turned off, as I have had a couple of problems with this, although this can also be turned of.
    Good luck with your choice, I'm getting @ 45-48mpg with this engine, which is mainly A roads/city driving and will probably opt for this engine on my next Golf.

Golf 1.4 Tsi GT 150PS DSG

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT (140 PS) - Any Known Problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi
    We have had our 2013 140PS model since Jan 2015 and would recommend it almost 100%
    We have the DSG and overall I would say if you can live with a manual version, do so. Ours hasn't failed (the gearbox) but we have had issues of jerkiness and hesitation since the latest software upgrade. It has taken 6 months to resolve. It's OK now. I asked about oil changes & neither of my 2 locals even know whether it's a dry or wet clutch model and therefore whether oil changes are necessary. Reliability wise I hear the DSG is improving but still a worry on older cars. My neighbour had a DSG Passat which was never right until VW shelled out for a complete new 'box.

Other than that it's a great little car. The standard car is loaded with sensible extras. The only fault our has developed is on the Keyless entry failing on the pax side. A known problem and I would also suggest avoiding this gimmick too.

Happy motoring.
    Last edited by Thriftmeister; 06-06-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Slepping

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT (140 PS) - Any Known Problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We’ve got a 2014 1.4 TSI GT DSG (the estate, which didn’t come with ACT oddly). Love the car & the engine - quiet, reasonably quick and I get 45-50mpg on a run.
    I had the turbo actuator arm replaced recently which I understand is not uncommon. Fortunately I’d bought the extended warranty.
    Also i’ve noticed that the rear discs are corroded on the outer third of the rotor. Again not uncommon I believe. It’s not down to lack of use - I do do 11k a year on A roads and m/ways.

0 0 0