1. Re: Audi A6 MY17 Tow Bar Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yes will do. I may even as Audi for a quote to code it and then I could do a before and after compare.

Can an you tell if the switch on the swivelling bar has any other function other than for the release handle led? I find it hard to believe that they would not put an icon on the instruments to show the bar not locked in either deployed or stored positions, yet it seems to have no function on my installation. Maybe I need to play some more but it’s knowing what to look for. Short of going looking for a car that has a factory fit and play with it...

Dave

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A6 MY17 Tow Bar Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    OK so I have an end to my story.

Swivel Bar off Ebay. £200

Westfalia Electrics kit for 13 pin electrics (facelift version) £170. It comes with the exact same module Audi will sell you for £250 but with the Audi branding removed. It was a gamble, VCDS proves the guts are identical.

Wibutec Harness (only required if you really want the light on the release handle to work and don't want to cut connectors off the OEM harness and Westfalia harness and solder them together. I didn't really want to do that. I wasn't really bothered about the LED working.

So, I tried coding it all with VCDS and although the guides I got off another forum gave the correct byte/bit info I was unable to code the ABS module as the security login didn't work in the current version of VCDS, the light on the release handle didn't work and I got no indication on the dash that the bar was hanging down (not locked in either position).

Being a bit impatient I took the car to a Westfalia dealer whose coding attempt was shocking. The only thing they did was to add the trailer module at address 69 and change the trunk module code. No change to engine, brakes, central convenience of central electrical. The trailer board lights worked but it didn't disable the reversing sensors etc. I got a refund then put it back to as before.

I bit the bullet and took it to AUDI. They charged me £120 and it was 100% successful. If the bar is swinging I get a "check tow bracket" warning on the instruments. I get a trailer behind the car on the MMI when I select reverse (as did I with VCDS), and the release bracket lights work. Best of all I'm confident that all the other functions such as trailer stability program etc will now work if I need it.

I really don't get why the VCDS coding did not get the release bracket lights working. Clearly the wiring was all correct, so something in the way AUDI code it makes a difference, even off all the bits are the same as vcds suggest it should be afterwards. Plus the database for my car at AUDI now has the changes stored and my warranty is intact. It cost me a bit more in the long run but as I only paid £170 for the control module rather than £250-ish audi would charge, it offset the coding cost a bit.

Hope this helps others with choosing a path if they choose to give this a go. Incidentally I saw someone selling 3 brand new swivelling bars for £200 each last week on ebay.

Dave

0 1 0

3. Re: Audi A6 MY17 Tow Bar Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davebrannigan View Post
    OK so I have an end to my story.

Swivel Bar off Ebay. £200

Westfalia Electrics kit for 13 pin electrics (facelift version) £170. It comes with the exact same module Audi will sell you for £250 but with the Audi branding removed. It was a gamble, VCDS proves the guts are identical.

Wibutec Harness (only required if you really want the light on the release handle to work and don't want to cut connectors off the OEM harness and Westfalia harness and solder them together. I didn't really want to do that. I wasn't really bothered about the LED working.

So, I tried coding it all with VCDS and although the guides I got off another forum gave the correct byte/bit info I was unable to code the ABS module as the security login didn't work in the current version of VCDS, the light on the release handle didn't work and I got no indication on the dash that the bar was hanging down (not locked in either position).

Being a bit impatient I took the car to a Westfalia dealer whose coding attempt was shocking. The only thing they did was to add the trailer module at address 69 and change the trunk module code. No change to engine, brakes, central convenience of central electrical. The trailer board lights worked but it didn't disable the reversing sensors etc. I got a refund then put it back to as before.

I bit the bullet and took it to AUDI. They charged me £120 and it was 100% successful. If the bar is swinging I get a "check tow bracket" warning on the instruments. I get a trailer behind the car on the MMI when I select reverse (as did I with VCDS), and the release bracket lights work. Best of all I'm confident that all the other functions such as trailer stability program etc will now work if I need it.

I really don't get why the VCDS coding did not get the release bracket lights working. Clearly the wiring was all correct, so something in the way AUDI code it makes a difference, even off all the bits are the same as vcds suggest it should be afterwards. Plus the database for my car at AUDI now has the changes stored and my warranty is intact. It cost me a bit more in the long run but as I only paid £170 for the control module rather than £250-ish audi would charge, it offset the coding cost a bit.

Hope this helps others with choosing a path if they choose to give this a go. Incidentally I saw someone selling 3 brand new swivelling bars for £200 each last week on ebay.

Dave
    Thanks for the update. I’d still love to know what Audi do to get the release lever LED’s to work!

It remains a mystery to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A6 MY17 Tow Bar Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hello. good job. Maybe it has already been written or asked, but I still ask the question: Is yours an S-line exterior right? Did you have to cut the bumper puller to release the hook or did you replace it with a specification for s-line bumper? If so, would I have a PR Number? Thank you very much.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A6 MY17 Tow Bar Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Mine was (is) an s-line black edition trim and I didn’t need to cut anything to get it to fit. I must admit I don’t know what you mean by the “bumper puller”, but I didn’t need to cut it whatever it is!

Dave

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A6 MY17 Tow Bar Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davebrannigan View Post
    Mine was (is) an s-line black edition trim and I didn’t need to cut anything to get it to fit. I must admit I don’t know what you mean by the “bumper puller”, but I didn’t need to cut it whatever it is!

Dave

Hi, looking to get some advice on this as I begin to research having the same fitted to my car. Can I pick your brains on what exactly I need to buy? Thanks

0 0 0

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345