Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benten69 View Post
    The difficult part is getting the sump off, as the engine needs to be supported from above while the subframe is dropped a little and moved out of the way.

Also, as Gaz said, if the car has a chain drive system (older ones, generally 2005 / early 2006) and you convert to gear driven it's a lot more in depth. Save yourself that hassle and get a 2007 car to be safe.

Engine codes which seem to have gear driven from the factory are BVG, BVS, BBA, BRD and BRE

Chain driven systems seem to be engine codes BPW, BNA, BRF and BLB

There will be a sticker in the boot near the spare wheel that tells you the engine code. It will also be in the V5 document and the service booklet, so make sure they all match with a gear driven engine.

Taking the pump out is easy once all the rest is out of the way. Literally as soon as the sump is off the balance shaft / oil pump unit is right infront of you and held on with 8 bolts, that's it!!

Note, you will need some special tools!! To re-align the subframe Audi use special pins and to access the 2 rear sump bolts you need a REALLY long 5mm ball end allen key. Again, Audi have a special tool for this, I believe their own one is 230mm long. You also need the correct tools to lock the timing cam / crank in place and to lock the balancer shaft in place when re-fitting, but all of these are either cheap or can be improvised on. For example, a socket of the right size can be used instead of the special pins, timing lockig kit is £20 as is the balance shaft locking tool.

If you want I can send you the official Audi workshop instructions to see what you need to do.

Only thing you will need to do over and above what Audi says is undo the bolts on the balance shaft module to seperate the 2 halves and replace the individual balancer. Audi only replace the unit as a whole, hence that extra step is not in their workshop manuals.
    Wow thank you so much. Tempted to offer you the money to do it! Sounds like you know more than Audi themselves. Is it something you've done yourself?

It would mostly definitely be a 2007. Much better car in my opinion.

If you could send me the official audi workshop instructions that would be great.
    Robjamesbooth@gmail.com

Are the electrics ok on the 2007 because I know there was a problem with the door loom getting crushed on the A4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    ^ Audi Master tech ?
    Haha, not at all mate. Just an enthusiast who's read far too much about this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by robcts View Post
    Wow thank you so much. Tempted to offer you the money to do it! Sounds like you know more than Audi themselves. Is it something you've done yourself?

It would mostly definitely be a 2007. Much better car in my opinion.

If you could send me the official audi workshop instructions that would be great.
    Robjamesbooth@gmail.com

Are the electrics ok on the 2007 because I know there was a problem with the door loom getting crushed on the A4s.

I'll send the files through in a minute. Will be doing my own car in early may, just waiting to get access to some things first. Hoping to make a proper full "How To" DIY when I do it. Can't comment on any faults with the electrics. All I can say is I've never had any issues.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, but he is talking about the chain driven system. Gear driven is less work.

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Haha, not at all mate. Just an enthusiast who's read far too much about this problem.

I'll send the files through in a minute. Will be doing my own car in early may, just waiting to get access to some things first. Hoping to make a proper full "How To" DIY when I do it. Can't comment on any faults with the electrics. All I can say is I've never had any issues.
    That would be bloody awesome of you. I'd pay you for that How To. Would be great. You waiting on an engine crane?

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That would be bloody awesome of you. I'd pay you for that How To. Would be great. You waiting on an engine crane?

Haha, no need to pay me. I plan on putting it on here in the How To section of the forum. Currently waiting on an engine support, some triple square sockets and ramps that I've ordered to get the car high enough in the garage, but they have been on back order for ages now. I could probably do it with the stands & jacks I have now, but if I can make my life easier by waiting a few weeks, then I'll do that. Also away for work at the end of this month, so not much time to do it before then anyway.

Will update this thread once I have done it and put together the How To.

0 1 0

7. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Haha, no need to pay me. I plan on putting it on here in the How To section of the forum. Currently waiting on an engine support, some triple square sockets and ramps that I've ordered to get the car high enough in the garage, but they have been on back order for ages now. I could probably do it with the stands & jacks I have now, but if I can make my life easier by waiting a few weeks, then I'll do that. Also away for work at the end of this month, so not much time to do it before then anyway.

Will update this thread once I have done it and put together the How To.
    So you don't have to remove the wheels to remove the subframe?

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So you don't have to remove the wheels to remove the subframe?

You do need to remove the wheels, yes.

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    That's a relief. Would have been a pain that. Do you need to completely remove the subframe to get the sump off?

0 0 0

10. Re: A4 2.0 tdi oil pump. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just to clarify, the wheels will need to come off. Subframe does not need completely removed, just dropped down and moved forward a bit. It's all shown in the PDF I e-mailed you last night with sections from the Audi workshop manual.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast