Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I am hearing a metallic clanking sound at low speed (6mph roughly) so everytime I go away from stationary or turn into a road etc.
    Under 6mph nothing and I would say above 10 it stops too.
    It's not a noise of something small like a nail, it's something a lot bigger.

I have identified it as coming from the passenger front wheel but while it almost sounds like something is hitting/dropping on the alloy or something else that is metallic, I cannot see anything.

Opinions?

I have managed to get a recording of it - it is just sound but hopefully you can hear it after 7-8 seconds

Dropbox - Car.m4a

Thanks in advance
    Audi A7 Black Edition 3.0 TDI (272) 2015 (FL)

0 0 0

2. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Best jack it up and have a look under car / take wheel off, it`ll be quicker to diagnose I guess.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

3. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Not sure of the age of the car but check for rotten disc backplate hanging loose and caliper anti rattle spring clip if fitted.

0 0 0

4. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    That noise sounds like something ticking on the disc plate and probably only something simple fingers crossed. Get the wheel off and have a good look if you can.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks all - I've pinged the local dealer a message to see if I can pop in quickly and get it on a ramp but failing that, I'll pop the wheel off over the weekend.
    I don't think it's been off since for a year or so ...lets see how easy it is to remove!

Always fear the ol' jack - I got a nice Sealey 3012CXD Jack last year and the silly thing went through the sill on the A6 so hopefully this time it won't be the same...that is assuming it even fits under the A7

0 0 0

6. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Scrap that- they said pop it down so lets see in a couple of hours

0 0 0

7. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Popped it in and they had a look - a bunch of stones came out of the undertray but the noise is still in the wheel as they did not have time to get everything off which I was fully aware off given I had only given them an hours warning :- )
    But it does sound like a stone is stuck in "something" that rotates - I'll be popping it back in next week first thing as I'm only down the road from them and it'll be sorted but I might try and get under over the weekend to have a proper look

thanks all - now that I know its there, it's driving me mad

0 0 0

8. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I had a similar thing on my front drivers side and was a stone stuck in between the disc plate. Hope you get this sorted soon as this would be driving me mad too!!

Look forward to hearing good news

0 0 0

9. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    It has certainly got to that stage now! I tried removing the wheel yesterday but no go - the car was from Land Rover dealership and maybe their torque levels are higher or they've used the typical air gun but none of the nuts budged with 85kg jumping on it.
    I'm ordering a mains powered impact wrench up to 450Nm so to loosen, I'm hoping it is enough but tighten will be by hand + torque wrench

Good news is the jack fits under the car...just!

Out of interest, anyone have pointers for axel stands on the A7 in terms of location

I think by the time I get the gun/time, Audi will have sorted but I'll report back in good time

0 0 0

10. Re: Metallic clanking noise from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Not sure what LR or whoever last tightened them have used but even with the 450nm mains powered impact wrench, not one nut budged so I think it's off to Audi and I'll probably get them to loosen all of them/retighten by hand if that is an option. Just need to try and not have a flat now

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast