Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

On March 1st I took the delivery of 17 plate Q7 with most options ticked, inclusive of advanced key. But a few weeks later I am learning that the keyless entry systems are extremely easy to break into. Here is an email from my neighbourhood watch from yesterday (and it follows another email a few weeks ago):

Two or three weeks go a top of the range car (keyless) was stolen from Marion Grove.
    The owner replaced it this week with a new top of the range Audi. This was also stolen on Monday night.
    Residents beware and keep keyless fobs away from the front door where they can be scanned. A closed tin box or special lined key bag will also block the scanners thieves are now using.

HRA Neighbourhood Watch Team
    More googling revealed that this is a well known problem: (I recommend watching the ADAC video on this site, it's almost an exact copy of our neighbours' CCTV):
    Tests uncover major security risk to keyless cars | Auto Express

Was ordering the advanced key a big mistake? It seemed so popular on this forum. Is Audi working on a fix (if it's possible at all)? I emailed the dealer who pretended that this is the first time they heard about it. Liars.

0 2 0

2. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    I'm not sure it matters as if you didn't order the advanced key, the default is keyless access still - albeit you have to hit the button?

I don't worry about it personally. That's what insurance is for. Annoying if it did happen, but I'd rather they steal it using some electronic device than attack me with a baseball bat or worse!

I like having the beep on lock enabled as it confirms that the signal hasn't been jammed but apart from that, just enjoy the car.
    Former Q7 owner

0 2 0

3. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All the fun of the 80s; www.disklokuk.co.uk

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 1 0

4. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes, just add a supplementary key operated device, nothing is perfect or uncrackable and that especially applies to software, if you tell the software community you have made an unbeatable system, they will do their utmost to beat it, it is a matter of pride, they hold competitions over it. Mind you there is another school of thought, if some scum bag want's your car and he see's it has a physical security device he has to make a decision from two choices, go away and find another or hit the owner over the head and take the keys..
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Naive question: if signal is jammed would mirrors still fold on locking and would indicators still flash?

0 1 0

6. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post
    Naive question: if signal is jammed would mirrors still fold on locking and would indicators still flash?
    I don't believe so. Sure I read something not long ago where they were jamming a car park and it prevents that signal from being received so you walk off and leave the car unlocked.

0 2 0

7. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Memories of former "Security" solutions...
    So the wheel is coming back to full circle !!! State of the Art Hi-Tec anti-theft security.. that you have to supplement with more basic fixtures.... Back in the day, when the family motor was a 1985 Ford Orion, and the anti-theft was a steering lock, activated when the key was removed. So on a visit to Dublin, after carefully locking the car, I went about my business. On my return the car was gone..... However I did manage to get it back in more or less the one piece...door glass broken, ignition lock busted and wiring cut. So I repaired the damage, and life went on until I had to visit the Capitol again....So I thought long and hard about the best anti-theft measures, and what I came up with was to remove the steering wheel completely. !!! Simple plastic centre cover on the wheel to pop off, then use the wheel brace to undo the centre nut on the column... and BINGO, steering wheel in my hand !!! Was very easy to replace too, as the shaft was hexagonal, so as long as the wheel was in the straight ahead position....everything fitted back together in a minute or two. Anyone thinking of stealing it would only have to see that it had no steering wheel.. and it was enough to dissuade them. I visited Dublin many many times after that....and never had it stolen again. Don't think that it would be possible to do now though !!!
    Jim

0 1 0

8. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post
    I wouldn't think so.

0 0 0

9. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srbsq7 View Post
    I'm not sure it matters as if you didn't order the advanced key, the default is keyless access still - albeit you have to hit the button?
    The way I understand it, the thieves use a range extension device, sort of like a wifi extender, which simply relays the signal from the key to the vehicle. The standard key (where you hit the button) does not emit any radio signal until you hit the button. And you only hit that button while next to the vehicle, hence not an easy target (apart from the baseball bat scenario).

0 0 0

10. Re: Keyless entry - theft epidemic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Presumably that just allows them to open the car? You can't start it unless the key is in the car or can they fake that too?

I remember a few years ago, my X5 went in for a security update as they could program a new key from the OBD port!

Probably the best insurance is to make sure your neighbours car is a bit better than yours...
    Former Q7 owner

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast