Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt.

1. Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

My 53 plate diesel Polo SDI (145,000 miles) is running fine (55MPG) apart from the following...

From cold I wait til glowplug light goes out, but first attempt at start is reluctant, though it fires after too long.
    However if again from cold, I crank it for literally just a moment, then wait 4-5 sec, it fires up good as gold on first turn of the engine.

Is there a 'feature' that decides not to use the GPs until the second try if the temp is 'too high' or something ?

This is happening now with outside ambient around 7C+, but we first noticed it back in the colder weather when we (without cranking) gave it two lots of preheat to make it go, but now I think we probably weren't actually giving it any the first try and it started normally the second.

Grateful for any suggestions please ?

Geoff.

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The glow plugs only fire up on the first start really, obviously if a gp is worn out it does take longer for the plug to heat up.

Other thing such as a weak battery can also have an effect on the early morning starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Grant, but in my case they don't seem to be firing up on the first go, but on the second try !

0 0 0

4. Re: Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrowne View Post
    Thanks Grant, but in my case they don't seem to be firing up on the first go, but on the second try !
    Well I would definitely try some new plug then in that case, as these maybe taking longer than normal to heat up "worn out", it's cheap enough to do yourself just don't snap any .

Basically to remove these I tend to soak the gp's in wd40, then warm the engine up a and give these another quick soak in wd40 then undo all 4.

The method for undoing these I have heard it been called is the " twist & untwist" probably pick that up when I was a young jazzier apprentice lol.

So the plugs are nipped up to 10-12 nm so bare this in mind, no brute force is needed. Simple undo the plug then stop when you feel any resistance, apply wd40 and redo the plug up slightly again then undo.

Do this tighten & untighten method every time you feel any resistance when undoing it, if you do this then most should come out with no hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

5. Re: Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    You should put a multimeter or test lamp across a plug and earth and confirm they are powered up on first attempt or not, chances are the tips are burnt away and not that effective anymore unless they've been changed at some point.
    The plugs come on pre start when coolant temp is below 9'C and have an extended period of operation up to 4 minutes or 2500rpm . A faulty coolant temp sender can fool the controller into thinking the engine is above 9'C, check this out if you are not getting any supply at the first attempt. The extended glow period should occur whenever the engine is started regardless of the pre start glow period occuring or not, (according to VW info I've got)

Tried to attach glow plug schematic to this message but no luck!

0 1 0

6. Re: Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Grant, I will see what I find out with my meter first, but great tips for removing the GPs if I need to.
    Don't think they've ever been changed, but on the second try the engine starts almost instantly. G.

0 0 0

7. Re: Polo SDI - no glowplugs on first cold engine start attempt. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Did you get to the bottom of your non-glowing, glow plug problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrowne View Post
    Hi,

My 53 plate diesel Polo SDI (145,000 miles) is running fine (55MPG) apart from the following...

From cold I wait til glowplug light goes out, but first attempt at start is reluctant, though it fires after too long.
    However if again from cold, I crank it for literally just a moment, then wait 4-5 sec, it fires up good as gold on first turn of the engine.

Is there a 'feature' that decides not to use the GPs until the second try if the temp is 'too high' or something ?

This is happening now with outside ambient around 7C+, but we first noticed it back in the colder weather when we (without cranking) gave it two lots of preheat to make it go, but now I think we probably weren't actually giving it any the first try and it started normally the second.

Grateful for any suggestions please ?

Geoff.

0 0 0