Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I NEED HELP

(not a car whizz)
    I have recently purchased an audi a3 2.0L fsi. i started to notice shortly after purchasing that the car was smoking quite badly (white smoke) not so much when idle but when pulling away and for some reason reversing. i know that the car was overfilled with oil by the idiot previous owner but we drained that out. could the oil be causing this smoke? or could it of damaged the engine!? also ive heard the head gasket can go on these causing white smoke but i have no sign of water leaking. I have put it in my local garage to get it diagnosed they gave me a very vague report... it read "oil leak on engine. suspected pickup blocked" and "engine smoking (worn engine).

im abit stuck now and worried about the cost of repair. will i need a new engine?...

also is there anything i can do/check myself to eliminate possibilities of what is causing this.. im no mechanic but i can check simple stuff.

any replies would be appreciated so much!

thanks.
    Capture.JPG

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A3 2.0L FSI Petrol White Smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sounds like injector failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A3 2.0L FSI Petrol White Smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    You don't say what year or mileage yours is but do some research into the 2 litre fsi oil consumption problems and folks getting new pistons and rings fitted, carefully monitor your oil consumption over 1000 miles or so, that may be the reason why the last owner overfilled it and sold it. ask that garage for a better explanation - oil leak ?? which pickup blocked ?? you've paid for one!

0 1 0

4. Re: Audi A3 2.0L FSI Petrol White Smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    silly me. its 2004 and clocking 107,000 miles. i will do my research into that then also ill ring back the garage and tell them i need more info on it.

thanks for your help.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A3 2.0L FSI Petrol White Smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is this a garage job straight away? anything i can do to check or even fix myself

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A3 2.0L FSI Petrol White Smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is this a garage job straight away? anything i can do to check or even fix myself

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A3 2.0L FSI Petrol White Smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    First of all, that garage sounds like they deserve a slap. The easiest way to test your head gasket that ANY garage could have done would be a sniff test to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant. If all is well the coolant will have zero hydrocarbon content, but if there is a leak between the coolant paths and the combustion chambers such as a failed head gasket or cracked engine block (far less likely, but not impossible) then you will be able to detect hydrocarbons in the coolant.

The Sealey test kits cost £55 from Amazon.... Sealey VS0061 Combustion Leak Detector: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

You can get other kits for cheaper or more expensive depending on brand and where you look.

However this is something the garage should have done! Depending on the results of the test will define what the next steps to take will be. Don't go chucking money at it until this test has been done.

Another method of test they should have done that you should ask for is a compression test of all the cylinders. A cracked head gasket will cause low compression on the cylinder(s) it has failed near. Again, you can get a compression tester for under £20 from Amazon.... Draper 37442 Compression Tester (14X18mm): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

This is all stuff the garage should have done and will have the tools for lying around. To be honest, I wouldn't take the car back there. Sounds like they are a bunch of muppets. Go elsewhere or buy the kit yourself and do it yourself. The cost of both items is the same as 1 hours garage labour, but you will have them for years to come.

0 0 0