Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How long should the brakes last?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: How long should the brakes last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes, if they operate, they wear but the benefits of the two systems outweigh a slight increase in pad wear. When VW introduced their Electronic Diff Lock system in the early 90's it used the ABS pump to modulate the calipers and control wheel spin so they made the pads thicker.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: How long should the brakes last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Mine work! The wheels are filthy after a drive in the rain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

3. Re: How long should the brakes last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sven_bcn View Post
    Just to add some extra info to this topic, my Q7 now has 32500km on the clock and needs new front brake pads. On Monday I will now what they charge here in Germany
    Front brake pads are replaced for 400€. Not too bad for an Audi dealer

0 0 0

4. Re: How long should the brakes last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    At 29000km had first service and dealer told me that front and rear pads need to be replace as there is 1mm left before wear sensor kicks in!!! Problem was they could not find pair for the front.
    So I said then I will wait a bit. And....9000km later no issues whatsoever! Bloody @kdydbhrdvb!

0 1 0

5. Re: How long should the brakes last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My dealer also told me they will need replacement soon and when I asked why it will cost so much he told me that they will replace both pads and disks. I asked them if they can replace the pads alone and he told me that for the Q7 they have to replace both together which I found odd! Is that your experience as I see some saying they only replaced the pads?

0 0 0

6. Re: How long should the brakes last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I cannot remember the last time I did pads without discs, I do remember learning my lesson over the previous decade as the people I did pads only for for, moaned constantly about brake noises and inconsistent feel. I do know that in the following decade and a half of using nothing but Pagid discs and pads that I have not had a single whimper of discontent. Between 12.30 am and 4pm today, myself and #1 foot soldier Leon (and he drives a Leon) did front and rear pads and discs on an A4 cabrio and back for re-test with no MOT man grumbling about the pads bedding in. One pair of discs and three sets of pads went south with the Golf 3 and it's thick non asbestos pads.... Mind you those pads lasted 5k miles, today people scream blue murder if their pads don't go to the moon and back.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: How long should the brakes last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Discovered this thread and forum after trawling through the internet for Q7 4M related posts. I have a 2016 Q7 based in Switzerland and got a yellow brakelight advisory for pads at 43k KM. I asked around Audi dealers in Switzerland, Austria, and Germany to compare costs - and the cost of Front disks+pads was quoted as CHF2000 in Switzerland, EUR1800 in Germany and EUR 1600 in Austria (parts and labour). Rear disks and pads were CHF1300, EUR1000, EUR 900 respectively.

Car went to dealer who wanted replace only Front pads and disks. The front disks are 38mm thick at new, and 36mm fully worn. I was advised my disks were 36.7mm and advised to replace in order to avoid coming back in 6months.

In the end I decided to replace only front pads. A touch and inspection of front disks shows no heavy lipping or denting.

Thought I'd put my experience in to add another data point on this thread.

PS: I used VCDS plus their Hex2 interface but found nothing on the warning lamp. I read in many places (for the old Q7) that module 53 Rear handbrake is the one to change, but couldnt find this module active in the 4M. Anyone know if this is now in Mod3 ABS?

0 0 0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234