Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 1.4 16V BBY (VW Polo) - Noisy Tappets?

1. 1.4 16V BBY (VW Polo) - Noisy Tappets? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Polo with a 1.4 16V BBY engine which I believe is common to the group. Posted on a VW forum but was unable to get a reply. If anyone here cares to respond that would be much appreciated. The top end was always a bit tappety tap, but is worse now. Slightly better when warmed up (but still worse than it was).

It's had regular oil changes that I've usually done myself, but last time I had someone else do it. I was wondering if they had changed the oil grade and that is partly an explanation. To be sure I did a flush using Comma, changed the filter, and the oil (Mobil 1 5W30).

The noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine so I'm guessing it might be the hydraulic tappets.

I've attached links to files with audio recordings of the noise (hopefully you can access them on Clyp.it):

1) Engine idling (almost cold) - bonnet closed (recording from drivers seat with window down)

Littlepolo's profile on Clyp

2) Revving between 1000-2500rpm bonnet closed (recording from drivers seat with window down)

1.4 BBY engine cold 1000-2500 rpm - Clyp

3) Engine idling (warmed up a bit) - bonnet open recorder held near top of airbox cover

1.4 BBY Engine idling cold - Clyp

Is this the hydraulic tappets?

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.4 16V BBY (VW Polo) - Noisy Tappets? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    really hard to say without seeing the car ..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.4 16V BBY (VW Polo) - Noisy Tappets? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I had one of those in a polo, think mine was a BKY, yes it sounds like the hydraulic lifters or tappets. you don't say how old or how many miles but I've never thought of these engines as good high milers, I ran mine from around 45k to 90 odd by which point it was a bit rattly, then got rid, I think they are prone to burning exhaust valves as well. thought it was a pretty rubbish engine TBH.

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.4 16V BBY (VW Polo) - Noisy Tappets? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    True. But if you had to take a guess?

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.4 16V BBY (VW Polo) - Noisy Tappets? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a 2002 with 86,000 miles. Not sure how many miles they run but have seen a few for sale with over 125K miles (have not heard them though).

Is it worth replacing the hydraulic lifters (looks like around £100 for parts and I have someone who can do it for a modest payment).

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.4 16V BBY (VW Polo) - Noisy Tappets? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Impossible to make that call having not seen or heard the car close up, if you or someone more experienced thinks it is excessive noise and you intend to run the car for thousands more miles and everything else is in good condition, then it is probably worthwhile investing a bit in keeping it going. Don't forget the timing belt has to come off to get the cam carrier off to do the lifters, so foolish not to renew the belts, tensioners, water pump while it's in bits, unless all that is relatively new, especially if keeping the car on the basis that you're replacing the lifters, so your £100 suddenly grows a bit.

0 0 0