1. Question Advice on a 1.8T Engine Build 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm new to the forums and am looking for advice on building a 1.8t longitudinal engine for my B5 QTS.

I've been looking for the specs of the different engine codes but there's so many contradicting posts stating that some engines have certain features that others argue doesn't etc. Currently I've got the longitudinal AJL engine which doesn't seem to be very common/popular with people doing engine builds, also seems to be much harder to find information compared to the popular AEB/AUM/BAM/APX engines.

Basically I'm wanting to build up a 1.8T engine but I'm undecided on whether to use my current AJL (obviously reducing costs as I have the full engine ready) or to buy a different block and build an engine up from there on a stand, at least this way I can still drive the A4 if I need to. I can't find much information on an AJL build (Wouldn't mind looking at some builds if anyone knows of any.)
    A couple of questions I have at the moment:

1. Transverse vs Longitudinal
    Is there actually any difference between the transverse and longitudinal engines other than how the turbo mounts? (Longitudinal being mounted under the manifold and Transverse being a top mounted turbo if I'm correct.) Would a gearbox from one be able to bolt up to another?

2. 058 vs 06A
    The 1.8T are split into 2 main categories, the older 058 which I currently have and the 06A. What the main differences between these and which would be the best platform to start a build with? Is this dependant on power goals or just convenience/costs for the builder at the time? Is there more support for one platform than the other?

3. 058 and 06A Cross compatibility
    Are any of the parts form one platform compatible with the other? Pretty sure blocks/heads aren't cross compatible, is this due to water journals/bolt holes or are they just completely different sizes? What about any internals (crank/rods/camshafts etc.) and any ancillaries (alternator/power steering etc.)

4. Water Pump
    I've come across a lot of posts regarding the 2 types of water pumps, internal and external. Am I right in saying that 058 comes with internal and 06A comes with external? Which type is ideal for a build or are they both just as good as long as you have the metal impeller over the plastic one. Lets say you had 2 engines same spec same power and had the choice of either internal/external which would you have?

5. Small Port vs Large Port
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe I have a big port head at the moment. I've read a few forums and articles saying that big port doesn't really make a difference until you're reaching 400bhp+. On the other hand it was all people with the small port making those statements, never actually seen/heard anyone with the big port agreeing that it isn't necessary.

Long and short of it I'm trying to get as much information as possible.

Is it worth using my current AJL as opposed to another engine code?(bearing in mind I have an AJL already and buying a different engine is costly.)

I'm not bothered about quick and easy ways to make power as I want to be able to hit the 400bhp marker without having to upgrade parts twice.

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice on a 1.8T Engine Build 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The AJL IS an AEB, there are no differences between the basic engines and is the external water pump version with intermediate shaft and tends to be known as the EA827 version of the 1.8T owing to the block being very much as per Audi since 1974, but with the new head so it is often called the 058. Getting 400PS from one of these is easy by shoving lots of air into it, the bottom end may have other ideas about this, and it has its problems even in 150PS form.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Advice on a 1.8T Engine Build 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The AJL IS an AEB, there are no differences between the basic engines and is the external water pump version with intermediate shaft and tends to be known as the EA827 version of the 1.8T owing to the block being very much as per Audi since 1974, but with the new head so it is often called the 058. Getting 400PS from one of these is easy by shoving lots of air into it, the bottom end may have other ideas about this, and it has its problems even in 150PS form.
    So I have the external water pump then? Any disadvantage to these I see quite a bit of debate on the water pumps.
    Are there any downsides/weaknesses to this block given it's like the 'old' style and not much has changed?
    Regarding the 400PS I'm hoping to get a twin scroll setup (GT30 series hopefully). I agree on the bottom end literally everywhere I've read says the bottom ends are basically at their limit at near stock HP. I'm still undecided on whether to go 2.0L stroker or not as it's will give me better low down and off boost performance, not to mention I'll need to get new conrods and pistons anyway so might as well get a crankshaft while I'm at it.

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice on a 1.8T Engine Build 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The advantage is if it leaks you don't have to strip the engine down.

If going 2 litre, you will have to machine the inside of the block and the oil pump for rod nut clearance so the EA113 unit (AKA 06A) would be better BUT then you are into a huge range of changes. I have built BAM 2L's and the crank needs a modified chain drive and the inevitable forged pistons rattle.

You are looking at a lot of expense on an old A4, I can't see it being money well spent.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice on a 1.8T Engine Build 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The advantage is if it leaks you don't have to strip the engine down.

If going 2 litre, you will have to machine the inside of the block and the oil pump for rod nut clearance so the EA113 unit (AKA 06A) would be better BUT then you are into a huge range of changes. I have built BAM 2L's and the crank needs a modified chain drive and the inevitable forged pistons rattle.

You are looking at a lot of expense on an old A4, I can't see it being money well spent.
    Is there any difference in reliability between the 2 water pumps? Regardless of what I decide to do I don't want to compromise any reliability, so between the 2 blocks putting aside having to machine the 058 block would one be better suited to a 2.0L stroker kit than the other? Also I would like the oil squirters under the pistons, any idea which engine codes these come with?

0 0 0

6. Re: Advice on a 1.8T Engine Build 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    They all have oil jets, even the basic 125PS ADR engine and there is nothing to chose between the water pumps. I have built so many big bore and long stroke EA827 engines over the last 30 years I have simply lost count, in the good old days of the late 80's to late 90's we often had two underway at the same time and turned out about one a week so I know the clearancing required without checking. I have built a few EA113 2 litres and they are much much easier to do BUT you have the job of converting the car to that form of engine but there was a precedent in the AWT engine (an 06B EA113 unit) used in the late 8D A4. The clearancing of the intermediate shaft, oil pump, oil pump stand, bore bottoms, oil jets, con rods and block is not something I would take lightly, on number 4 you are plying with clearances as tight as 1-mm where the angle of the shaft side rod nut has to be tweaked around its torque spec so that the peak of the 14-mm hex head nut passes the oil pump stand (already ground down) without hitting it. This is a 2L 06A FSI crank in a BAM block

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0