Notices

User Tag List

Thread: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

Its been quite a while since I've posted on the forum. Had to blow the dust off my username/password. Anyway, I've had my B8 2011 A4 3.0TDi for a while and am considering a change. I can't help but drool over the new S4, its a total stunner. Can anyone give me an idea of the sort of MPG to expect out of it? Ideally I'd be interested to know how many miles you'd get out of a full tank of petrol.

Audi are claiming on their website the newest one (Turbo instead of Supercharged) can be up to 39MPG, but I call BS on this. Note: I am under no illusions that it will be as good as my current diesel. I'm willing to take the hit to the wallet provided its not too outrageous. E.g. if its 200 miles to a 60 litre tank then I'll probably forget it...but 300 miles and I could live with that.

Thanks

Andrew
    1994 VW Polo 1.4L (Scrapped)
    1998 VW Polo 1.4L - Somewhere Out there...
    2004 Audi A4 1.9TD 130bhp <--Gone but not forgotten!
    2011 Audi A4 3.0 V6 TDi 240bhp - Moved on, but still going
    2017 Audi S3 2.0 TFSI 310bhp

0 0 0

2. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you considered the new 3.0TDI? It's nearly as quick as the S4 (more torque), does 40-50mpg / ~500 miles per tank and saves a big chunk of road tax.

Personally I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the little bit of extra performance - I'd go 3.0TDI or step up to the RS4. However, to use an appropriate expression, your mileage may vary. :-)
    Audi A4 (B9) Avant 3.0 TDI (272) Quattro with lots of toys

0 0 0

3. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The MPG will be a lot lower, maybe mid 20's if lucky at a guess. I'd a demo of one and the mpg on that was under 20mpg when I drove it. Although you'd probably not drive it like a demonstrator every day, the way it went I knew I'd be barely better off mpg wise than with the RS4 I had just sold.
    I ended up getting the 272hp diesel Allroad, only a wee bit slower to 62mph and a whole lot better spec'd. Ok it's not the same for chucking about on the road but considering the state of the roads etc I'm happier with this than the RS4.
    '06 A4 SE 140hp, who needs more than this??? Gone away to a better home
    '15 RS4 Avant, a few toys and accompanying fuel tanker. Gone away to someone who likes fuel stops.
    '16 A4 Allroad 3.0l TDI V6 272ps. Big hole in roof and plenty other toys to distract me.

0 0 0

4. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys (keep em coming!). I sat in an S4 today and fell in love with the shape, interior and engine layout. Haven't got round to a test drive yet - I'm getting married in a few months and figured its best to wait till after that and the honeymoon .

With regards to the diesels...I'm a big diesel fan. My 3.0TDi is my absolute pride and joy, along with all 240 horses it provides. I've been put off the diesel by a few things really...first of all I don't tend to do high mileage anymore. I used to drive twice a week to Luton which was a nice 100 mile round trip a day, but now I work just up the road (I had my MOT today and literally have done 5900 miles in the past 12 months). Secondly, I'm not a big fan of having to faff about with the Ad-blue system and the £1.50 a litre cost they have popped onto that. Additionally there seems to be a bit of a diesel witch-hunt at the moment, which is a shame but ho-hum. The last point would be that with the amount of money I'd be spending, the extra 42BHP doesn't feel worth the cost considering I could just get mine remapped to the same level.

I'm not too bothered with the fuel running costs as I'm doing fairly low mileage, but I still have a mental "reasonable" limit. The higher tax isn't a huge deal, and I doubt my insurance would change much (8 years NCB, clean license, over 30).

-Andrew
    1994 VW Polo 1.4L (Scrapped)
    1998 VW Polo 1.4L - Somewhere Out there...
    2004 Audi A4 1.9TD 130bhp <--Gone but not forgotten!
    2011 Audi A4 3.0 V6 TDi 240bhp - Moved on, but still going
    2017 Audi S3 2.0 TFSI 310bhp

0 0 0

5. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I drove a 3ltr TDi A6 Quattro in Germany this week. Very impressive performance! Gave it the beans on the autobahn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theskyfox View Post
    Hi Guys,

Its been quite a while since I've posted on the forum. Had to blow the dust off my username/password. Anyway, I've had my B8 2011 A4 3.0TDi for a while and am considering a change. I can't help but drool over the new S4, its a total stunner. Can anyone give me an idea of the sort of MPG to expect out of it? Ideally I'd be interested to know how many miles you'd get out of a full tank of petrol.

Audi are claiming on their website the newest one (Turbo instead of Supercharged) can be up to 39MPG, but I call BS on this. Note: I am under no illusions that it will be as good as my current diesel. I'm willing to take the hit to the wallet provided its not too outrageous. E.g. if its 200 miles to a 60 litre tank then I'll probably forget it...but 300 miles and I could live with that.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew, I picked up a new S4 last week - it sounds great, even in eco and on a decent run I've managed to get 28 mpg despite the engine still bedding in. That said, on a short run in dynamic you are around 18 mpg. Hope that helps, if you are only doing low mileage I'd go for it - great car!

0 0 0

7. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi
    I'm back after a 2 year break too. Please be gentle.
    I'm getting rid of my tinny 3 series on 6 Sep and getting a B9. Previous car was C7 A6, 2.0TDI & loved it.
    I had the same choice (lease) S4 or 3.0TDI. Heart said S4 but head told me it's an estate car! Awaiting the diesel. Lease cost, insurance, tyres, servicing and of course fuel are all going to be cheaper. As it's a lease I do not have residuals worries. I do 12-13K a year but all long, 30+ mile trips.
    Decision was actually a no brainer once I'd stopped dreaming

As for the F31, a 335D X-Drive. Great engine, good 4WD system, but it was a cheap lease for a reason- it's a v cheap feeling car. Unreliable, rattly, and everyone thinks you're a Nob

0 0 0

8. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi All I'm wondering this as well. I'm in the market for a new Family performance estate and the S4 is top of the list which also contains the Golf R estate and Skoda Octavia VRs 245. I'm under no illusions that although classed as performance cars these are 3 very different cars interms of size, performance and engines but need to hear some real life MPG figures for the S4 avant. My current 240 BHP Mondeo 2.0l is getting around 29MPG and the Golf R I took on a long test drive was on about 31 MPG combined driving. I'd really appreciate you good people letting us know what MPG the B9 S4 is returning.

Many thanks Mitch

0 0 0

9. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmitch View Post
    Hi All I'm wondering this as well. I'm in the market for a new Family performance estate and the S4 is top of the list which also contains the Golf R estate and Skoda Octavia VRs 245. I'm under no illusions that although classed as performance cars these are 3 very different cars interms of size, performance and engines but need to hear some real life MPG figures for the S4 avant. My current 240 BHP Mondeo 2.0l is getting around 29MPG and the Golf R I took on a long test drive was on about 31 MPG combined driving. I'd really appreciate you good people letting us know what MPG the B9 S4 is returning.

Many thanks Mitch
    Seriously?
    If you are in the market for a £40,000 car I would think mpg is the least of your worries.

Man Maths
    ?
    Depreciation over 3 years circa 50% on a trade in so £20k, say 36000 miles so 55p/mile. Minimum

MPG: 36000 at 29 mpg =£6500 or 18p/mile; 36000 at 20mpg = £9400 or 26p/mile

Add servicing, tax, insurance, tyres, etc and your extra 8p/mile pales just a bit. Get the one you want

0 0 0

10. Re: S4 2017 Real world MPG (Turbo version) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I love a bit of man maths it means I get what I usually want!

But seriously the 3 cars outline are cars I'm considering and I didn't say I would be buying new. One thing I need to consider is the merits of a used B9 verses nearly new Golf R verses a brand new VRS.???

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast