Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,
    i am currently searching for a 2010 onwards A4 Avant S Line Petrol.... might consider Quattro but worried about mpg on those.

is there anything I should check for when viewing to purchase other than the usual bits that apply to any used car purchase?
    Currently looking for an A4 Avant petrol s Line with satnav

0 0 0

2. Auto or manual? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As the title says really.... which would you recommend and why?

0 0 0

3. Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To me 2.0 seems best but in the real world, forgetting cost to tax and insurance, which is better, the 1.8 or the 2.0 petrol and why? (The why is very important)

im assuming reliability is same for both....

0 0 0

4. Re: Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    So I'd make sure you look at the post 2012 engines, either the 225PS 2.0 TFSI or 170PS 1.8 TFSI.

The 2.0 211PS had well known oil consumption issues so unless it's had the fix there's a potential for you getting an engine that has some issues.

Personally I've got a 2012 1.8 TFSI 170 and it's plenty quick for me. Managed 150mph on the Autobahn in Germany (going slightly downhill) and it does feel swift. Economy is good too, I get about 40-42MPG on the motorway at swifter speeds and about 36-40 mpg around town - driving sensibly.

We've also got a 2014 2.0 TFSI 225PS avant quattro Black edition in the family but that uses more fuel. About 36MPG at swifter motorway speeds and 30ish around town. Goes like hell though and the auto box is lovely.

Reliability is decent - I've had a few problems with mine but no engine issues. Our Avant has been perfect so far.

I'd say the 1.8 TFSI is a great choice if you don't mind manual as it's quick enough and economical to run. Also smooth as hell. Quattro is nice but not worth the extra costs for me - servicing and everything is a fair bit cheaper on the 1.8 vs the 2.0.

Hope that helps.

0 0 0

5. Re: Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you, that is helpful.

1.8 would be fine as this is going to be my sensible car as I also have a BMW 640 but need a car for very short local use hence wanting petrol.

trouble is with everyone going diesel mad over the years the petrols are rather thin on the ground

0 0 0

6. Re: Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This should be fun, auto trader shows BHP, log books show KW.... i think this is right....

170 ps is 167/168 hp
    225 ps is 221/222 hp
    -both good

211 ps is 208 hp
    -the one to be wary of

0 0 0

7. Re: Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uklel View Post
    Thank you, that is helpful.

1.8 would be fine as this is going to be my sensible car as I also have a BMW 640 but need a car for very short local use hence wanting petrol.

trouble is with everyone going diesel mad over the years the petrols are rather thin on the ground
    Haha tell me about it.

I bought my A4 a few years back and ended up flying to Belfast to buy it from Belfast Audi and then drove it back to London via ferry ride from Dublin! But that was just because I was super picky (wanted an SE because I hate the S-Line suspension but one of my musts was full adaptive Xenon's so not an easy car to find).

I honestly think the 1.8 TFSI is a great engine, in 170 guise that is, even sounds pretty good as it hits the rev limiter at 7,000rpm.

And yes the diesel issues is certainly meaning they're getting snapped up faster.

I saw you said you wanted Sat-Nav, our Avant has it and tbh I'm not too impressed. I don't have it in mine but use a brodit proclip to fix my TomTom to the right of the main screen and it certainly provides better traffic info etc. Might be worth checking out - http://www.brodit.com/product.html?i...vant&year=2014

0 0 0

8. Re: Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uklel View Post
    This should be fun, auto trader shows BHP, log books show KW.... i think this is right....

170 ps is 167/168 hp
    225 ps is 221/222 hp
    -both good

211 ps is 208 hp
    -the one to be wary of
    Yep exactly - I'd alsp avoid the 120 PS 1.8 as it's totally underpowered and the 160ps 1.8 as I think it also had oil issues.

0 0 0

9. Re: Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guess if all the other boxes were ticked I would consider getting a separate satnav if needs be

0 0 0

10. Re: Petrol: 1.8 or 2.0? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I wasn't going to consider the 120 as even being sensible, got to have something there, otherwise I'd just buy a ford

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast