Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Its probably been done to death here somewhere bit I've checked the bulbs, checked the fuse and replaced the switch on the transmission but still no reverse lights.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well thanks for the overwhelming advice people. Anyway it looks like a wire has broken on the reverse switch plug as I gave it a pull the other day and the lights flicked on and off so at least I know what it is now.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Sorry that you didn't get any help with that one, Andy. It's quite a common fault too. You can get a length of wire from the VW dealer with a pin on each end that fits into the connector. Give the parts guys the part number of the connector (usually a number starting 1J0 --- ---) and ask for a repair wire. There is a purple locking device on the connector that needs to be removed to allow the damaged pins to be removed. Get the damaged pins out, put the new ones in and refit the locking device. Then simply cut the loop of wire in half and join the ends to the original wires on the vehicle loom. It doesn't really matter which way round they go but I think the black/blue should go to pin 2 (marked on the back of the connector).

Regards.

Jim.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Flash2,
    Many many thanks for the reply, I'll get onto the local dealer asap. I was just going to solder the pins (if it was possible) but your suggestion is far better.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well thanks to Flash 2's suggestion I contacted the VW dealer, got the repair wire and two connectors. Time taken was the best part of an hour and total cost was just over £10. Result! I now have working reverse lights.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I know this thread is old but if possible i need help...

I also have a VW Polo 2003 Reg, and my reverse lights don't work - i've changed the bulbs and still nothing. I think its the reverse light switch plug.

Can someone please tell me where the reverse light switch plug is? I've looked under the bonnet for the plug but i just cant find it. Can someone please upload a picture or video to where the plug is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttru View Post
    Hi,

I also have a VW Polo 2003 Reg, and my reverse lights don't work - i've changed the bulbs and still nothing. I think its the reverse light switch plug.

Can someone please tell me where the reverse light switch plug is? I've looked under the bonnet for the plug but i just cant find it. Can someone please upload a picture or video to where the plug is.

Hi, my Polo was an 03 1.4 petrol and the reverse light switch is on top of the transmission housing. I replaced the switch but also had to replace the cable as the original one had corroded. You can get a replacement cable set from VW too. Hope this helps!
    PS I would go and look under the bonnet but I sold the car last year and drive a Honda instead. Sorry VW but ya know....

1 0 0

8. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttru View Post
    Hi,

Hey there, The reverse light switch is usually low down on the front of the gearbox. The connector should be easy to spot. It'll be the one with the broken wire

Cheers.

Jim.

1 0 0

9. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AndyK21, Flash2 (Jim),

Cheers guys for the info - do i need to get under the car to get to the reverse light switch or is it accessible from above? Do i need to remove the engine cover to get to the switch as-well?

Haven't had a chance to have another look for the switch (really heavy rain all day), but if anyone can take a picture of this switch would be awesome please... i am really s**t when it comes to identifying things in the engine bay!!!

Cheers
    TTru

0 0 0

10. Re: 2003 Polo reverse lights not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    You'd need to get at the switch from below, and yes, you will need to remove the bottom engine cover.
    As I said, the switch is on the front of the gearbox. It has a two pin connector and one of the wires will be a black with blue stripe.
    Sorry, don't have a photo.

Regards.

Jim.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast