Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone

If I swap my old engine as it's burning oil for another used engine, it says I'd have to program the throttle to the ecu.

Would it work if I just keep my original engines' throttle which is already "programmed to my ecu" (transfer it to the "new" engine)?

I don't have means to program this and £200 for a vcds cable wont justify for 1 use.

Many thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Change your engine. Use the original throttle body. It might run funny after as these polo's sometimes lose there learnt value's when the battery has been disconnected. But driving around and it should relearn itself anyway. Failing that someone on here could help you. Just erase faults. Erase learnt values Then a throttle body adaption.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, cool I'll give it a go when I find a decent 2nd hand engine.. at the moment it's just dismantled and waiting for it...

0 0 0

4. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    for the price of a second hand engine ......................... you could rebuild it.................... or give it to a machine shop to fix

the oil ring on the pistons were all jammed in on mine

the head was around £110 for checking valves and stem guides with new seals
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

5. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Definitely worth checking that out. A lot of these Polo's are being scrapped now for oil burning and compression issue's. Had a Vw polo 1.2 in my workshop the other day 2006 misfire on idle found low compression on cylinder 3 only 39000 miles . Rang the customer with the news and he scrapped it the following day.

0 0 0

6. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I rebuilt the top (small engine) re-seated the valves, new guides, valve stem oil seals (all quite good quality parts I guess... febi) as it had an exhaust valve on cyl 2 very badly burnt and cracked so very low compression (2 or 3 bar or so) and cyl 3 had exhaust valve just started to crack. Now compression was about 12 or 13 bars if I remember and all cylinders having equal readings.

Engine and the car were running very nice, no codes, no vibrations. Problem is that it's burning oil like crazy and fails the emission tests plus oil is low on the dipstick after just about 30 miles. Idle doesn't but if you step on it it's burning oil like crazy.

PCV valve is new from VW, nothing oily and bad in other places than the cylinders themselves... engine has 132000 miles - I don't know if it's worth rebuilding or buying a younger one for ~£300. Rebuilding kit is about £150 plus honing tools, precision measuring tools etc etc which I don't have other than 1 little micrometer which could do valve steams.

So I guess the rings might be stuck as I had a little camera scope inside the cylinders and they're all oily and everything in there is oily and black and spark plugs smell like burnt oil and they're oily and black as well.

For changing the rings there is no official information for the torque settings for the piston rods etc (when you open the bottom end) of these 3 cyls AWY engines.. it's said that they're throw away but still many places sell reconditioning sets for them.

VW says you alter the clearances and even if you reassemble the bottom end it will not last long - that of course so you throw away the engine, eventually the car and apply for finance and buy a new VW and pay like 3 cars' price for 1 (I am not participating in this kind of "donations") I'll fix my old VW no matter what (car is sorn so I am not in a hurry) and I do have another similar (AZQ 1.2 based Seat Ibiza) which is running fine, good economical and nippy cars.

0 0 0

7. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    We're definitely deemed throw away when I worked at Volkswagen and Skoda. We were happy to put a complete cylinder head on. ...or a complete engine. Nothing in between. Even had a few with weird misfires that would come and go due to valves actually turning/spinning in the head.

0 0 0

8. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    it is just another option & giving to a workshop would allow them to know all the settings ...........................

then you know the history of it, however a good scrapyard should give you a short warranty
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

9. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Also as far as having a genuine vcds cable. ..well I have a moody setup from ebay and have had no problems with throttle adaptions. Also checkout vagpro. About £80 and that should be able to do what you want.

0 0 0

10. Re: Polo 9N 2003 petrol engine swap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahaaa so I can use vcds lite with a cheappy China cable...

I'll also check this vagpro... see what it can do or not do.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast